rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

Weightlifting: Starting Strength

I read http://www.t-nation.com and the author and the programme 'Starting Strength' get a good rep on there. The guy who wrote my programme (Jim Wendler), which I've talked about before and highly recommend 5/3/1 says when in doubt 'squat and run hills' - this is never a bad adage. So squatting 3 times a week could see some serious gains, especially for a beginner.

"Gaining 15lbs in six months would certainly be awesome." I think you'll be in for a shock if you think it can be that easy, as if muscle was so easy to put on every one would do it. It's certainly do-able but your calories have to be humongous. Eating everything in sight is not a bad idea. Eat til you're full and eat some more, and lots of protein.

Lifting weights and building the body you want and getting a good level of strength takes a long time, but not many people have the patience or the discipline to follow it through to really get good at it. People think you can squat 500lbs overnight. This takes years to build. Right now I can deadlift 450lbs and I'm 180lbs, but it's taken me 3 years of busting my ass to get here and I still don't even consider that to be strong.

A beginner should focus on heavy compound lifts...so doing starting strength is a great idea. Eat lots, lift heavy and you'll be good.

Messages In This Thread