rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Part of Expatriation We Don't Discuss

The Part of Expatriation We Don't Discuss

It depends on what you mean by being an 'expat.'

1. The first few months in any place will likely give you a buzz - every minor thing, even buying milk, will be an experience. I would call this the 'tourist' phase. It's possible to continuously relocate every few months and remain a tourist indefinitely, but to me it would become difficult later in life. At this stage, one will likely not have any strong friendships, but many casual acquaintances.

2. Others, who I would call expats, often live/work for a few years in each place, usually hang around with other expats, don't really integrate but do gain some understanding of the local customs. A lot of corporate men, students, and itinerant English teachers fit into this category. In many places, there is a strong community of these kinds of expats who stick together.

3. What is really difficult is to give up your own culture and integrate into another, stop speaking your native language, and build roots locally. Not many are able to do this successfully, and they are usually the ones who felt like foreigners in their own countries to begin with.

The first two categories are somewhat easier to achieve, with one large caveat: at the end, you will have nothing to show for it other than the financial aspects.

Messages In This Thread