rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Part of Expatriation We Don't Discuss

The Part of Expatriation We Don't Discuss

There are several issues with being an expat that are overlooked on here:

1. Family

I have only made it back to the UK twice in 5 years due to lack of paid leave (go Asia!). Skype helps, as does inviting them over to see you instead. That said, you can't allow yourself to miss your family or you aren't going to make it abroad.

2. Discrimination

Locals will outmaneuver you in business deals, occasionally refuse to talk to you, hire their own for jobs and promote fellow locals over you. This is an undeniable fact.

Positive discrimination doesn't exist outside of the West. As a foreigner for the first time, you finally begin to understand how real discrimination actually works. I have lot more empathy now for minorities back home. The challenge is to get over the reality of discrimination, make yourself into a machine and not sink into the expat bubble.

3. Money

You may or may not make it big abroad. Unless you have some crazy inside connections, chances are that the first year or two will be challenging financially. Or at least worse than had you stayed home. Meanwhile all your friends back home are getting promotions. You begin to wonder if you should have left or not. In the beginning it is all roses, but doubting your decision to leave is a constant issue after a few years.

This forum tends to paint a rosy picture of life abroad. Look at some expat forums before you go just for laughs. There are a lot of bitter expats out there and you don't want to imitate 90% of them.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Messages In This Thread