rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Pacific Trash Island a lie

Pacific Trash Island a lie

Quote: (07-11-2014 08:09 PM)Vroom Wrote:  

Quote: (07-11-2014 08:05 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

Quote: (07-11-2014 07:42 PM)BlurredSevens Wrote:  

What's ironic is that the OP's source is one guy: a guy who does not appear to be a scientist or a marine biologist or even a journalist. It's just a rambling video by some unqualified bozo.

You saw that I posted the link to, and an abstract of, the recently published academic paper by the same author on whose claim the entire "trash island" story was based, which unambiguously states that the original estimates were off by many orders of magnitude? Or did you just decide to ignore that?

Then the problem is one of scale, not that there is no problem at all.

I'd see even 1 ton of floating rubbish as pretty disgusting so to me, it's not important whether it's estimated to be 100,000,000 tons or a "mere" 35,000 tons.

Dude -- that's like the feminist saying "Umm... whatever. One rape is one too many, that's all I know".

Scale matters a great deal. Do you have a sense of how unspeakably vast the oceans are? A ton is nothing.

That is something that the dude was actually talking about in the video, which is far from "rambling" -- he makes a number of good points, mainly that people have no sense of scale whatsoever (well, women never do, but even men can do a lot better).

By the way, there is no reason to believe there even single "tons" of garbage are floating in the ocean in a concentrated way. The estimates refer to the total load, which is distributed across an unfathomable large volume -- just in case the visual of that ton all floating together offends you for some reason.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Messages In This Thread