rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Expat Poll - Do you plan on moving back?

Expat Poll - Do you plan on moving back?

As someone who's about to make his first 6+ month journey outside the US it's great to read everyone's positive experiences. I have to admit, I'm a bit scared to quit a well paying gig, sell possessions I hold dear, and just board that plane into the unknown. Though I've read a lot about Asia it's still, for me, the unknown. Will it be great? Will it be a disappointment? Is it true you take yourself with you wherever you go, or is it true the world is composed of opposites and Asia is everything the West is not, or is it both, or neither?

I can still back out, and I've gone back and forth a lot these past few months, but yesterday I gave notice to the building I'll be moving out Aug 31st. That's a first step. Next step will be selling my guitar, turntable and car. I don't have to sell them I suppose, but I feel I NEED to. Then comes the 2 week notice to work, then buying the plane ticket.

The plane ticket is the big one for me. I could do it now, and get a one way to Manilla for 1/2 the price of regular, but until I have the logistics of my car sorted out it's hard. Maybe I'm making it harder than it has to be, I don't know. Maybe I haven't committed fully yet, it's hard, but it really shouldn't be.

It's one thing to read the posts by members here and say to yourself, with bravado, "Yeah, I'm going to do that too!", it's quite another to actually do it, and I do feel a good amount of fear, but any real adventure is that way.

Messages In This Thread