rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why obesity is not your doctor’s problem.

Why obesity is not your doctor’s problem.

So, has there been any backlash against this article? Any enraged fatties sighted yet? I browsed the comments and saw only a few:

Quote:Quote:

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/...-913115802
Not a nice piece of writing. Full of assumptions and hysteria.

And it is discrimination towards fat people. As well as "fat hatred." Examples: "Fat people are ugly." This is an opinion that not everyone agrees with. Also, "Fat people are uneducated." I have an MA and I am working towards another MA in library science. All my friends are fat and educated. How is this not a way of stereotyping fat people?

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/...-924822249
I agree, there was a distinct bias in this article. I am not overweight myself but I can see how someone would be put off by the level of judgement in this article. She sounds like she can barely conceal her disgust with these people. I couldn't believe her remark about the man who said he struggled with an addiction to food. For some people, it is much like an addiction.

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/...-914549635
Yet another doctor who still believes the discredited "facts" about obesity.

Here's what we know now, doctor, compared to what you and many doctors claim to believe ... the doctor-recommended low-fat diets of the past few decades exacerbate obesity (while you comment on the fat on the pizza rather than the crust and ignore the fact that the body's efforts to rapidly process carbohydrate actually produce more fatty acids in the blood than eating raw lard), the Borlaug wheat foisted on civilization has more of the glutenous proteins which can produce morphine analogs during digestion (while you dismiss a patient's claims of addiction), the ravenous hunger when overeating or dieting is caused by the rapid drop in blood sugar often caused or exacerbated by high-GI/GL carb consumption (or not so high, depending on how far along toward insulin resistance you are), whether in "bad foods" or the recommended diets (hunger which you dismiss as a psychological problem), and older women eating the recommended foods, creating an in-utero high-insulin environment through diet and age-related GLUT receptor breakdown, delivering by caesarean and eschewing breast-feeding do produce children with digestion problems already well on the way to insulin resistance (dismissed as excuses rather than the cause of an imbalance of intestinal flora, accelerated deterioration of GLUT receptors, and an inappropriate baseline for pancreatic beta cells).

Eating less makes you lose weight? No kidding. Provided what you eat less of are things that provoke the production of insulin and the rapid fluctuation of blood sugar (recommended in larger quantities by the American "food pyramid" of the 70s) rather than the fat-containing foods (which actually moderate the impact of high-GI/GL foods) that doctors have spent the last few decades telling us to avoid. Otherwise, you're faced with years of losing, if you're lucky, a kilo a week while starving for months or years, or actually gaining weight while feeling equally starved.

"As a doctor, I no longer know what to do about the obese."
Try shutting up and quitting your bariatric clinic. The actual facts aren't politically correct or convenient, but if you actually teach people the truth about what their bodies are doing biochemically and how the traditional recommendations, in the absence of that politically incorrect information, all too often make the situation worse, they really won't need many of your services.

But, perhaps that's the point.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Messages In This Thread