rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Novelty races and the fat chicks who run them

Novelty races and the fat chicks who run them

Quote: (09-18-2013 03:11 PM)j r Wrote:  

There are a whole lot of young people with disposable incomes and no real responsibilities.

... and, as such, have never had to cultivate maturity.

Recently, a dude in his mid-30's posted on the wall of a musician's group i'm involved with. He hadn't been involved in the group to any great degree before, and posted a cover-version of a well-known song that was competent, but nothing more.

He lost his shit after a couple of days for 'only' getting three likes and started abusing the entire membership for not recognising his 'towering genius' (his description). Five paragraphs worth of abuse, heaped upon people, who, in all likelihood, hadn't even noticed his post to begin with.

People obviously called him on his arrogance. My favourite response from a jazz musician: "Some of us haven't bought tickets to our own show".

Two days later every member got abusive messages from his mother.

Quote:Quote:

Everyone should be able to run a mile without all this self-congratulatory you-go-girl Instagram bullshit.

Modern Female Mindset: a thing is only worth doing if it can offer personal validation via social media.

A mate owns a coffee shop that I pass on my daily run, and was complaining to me that despite his great location in a high traffic corner area, business was tanking. He had this whole dark and moody vibe to the place, and wanted to know how to bring younger people in, based upon my line of work.

I said he had the perfect location by one of the university bus stops. My answer was that young people aren't simply drinking coffee anymore, and that they need the validation that comes from being seen drinking coffee. They need to be able to be viewed by those passing on foot or in cars peacocking with their gadgets, being social.

He replaced the outer walls with floor-to-ceiling glass windows, with bars and stools against each one. Whenever I run past now, there's at least two-to-three I-Macs being used, always on an angle that clearly displays the logo to the passing traffic, offering the social validation of being young, cool, urban and edgy, thanks to Apple's wanky marketing. He started experimenting with outdoor tables, which are now always full of young people barely-interacting, glued to their smart phones or Mac Laptops, snapping photos of their coffee and muffin like it's a work of art, completely ignoring the beauty and discipline of the historical architecture of the courthouse across from them.

Business is now doing so well that he's started expanding into the shop next door.

Quote:Quote:

Maybe some of these fatties, when they're young and move out of home, need motivation and a goal to strive for, these races may be the first time in their lives that they're surrounded by positive people, who encourage them to run the race. So they train and they finish the race and they see the positive benefits of living a healthy lifestyle

Didn't you see the focus on 'food reward'? A Krispy Kreme donut could completely negate a large portion or the entirity of the calories burnt during one of these events. This is one of the common factors I always see in fat people: expend a little effort or discipline, reward yourself with something that negates it. "I've been so good this week, I deserve this double slice of Mississippi Mud Cake." Cue complaints about not being able to lose weight.

I can eat an 80 gram box of Sultanas and be aware that even that tiny quanity of food would takes 20 minutes of cycling to burn off.

Messages In This Thread