rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Supplementing Your Income with Side Hustles - $15,000 US a year

Supplementing Your Income with Side Hustles - ,000 US a year

Quote: (09-06-2013 08:01 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (09-06-2013 02:56 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

A 4 Part breakdown by the author can be found on his blog here: How I Became Financially Independent in 5 Years - Part 1

WestCoast, I understand it's not something you agree with, as it doesn't suit your lifestyle needs and personal philosophies, but with out of the box thinking and going extremely frugal for a short time, it is possible. Surely you can acknowledge that even if you don't think it's ideal.

You can cut through a lot of bullshit by learning simple math.

MikeCF, you're one of the posters whose contributions I respect the most on here, but it's clear you haven't thoroughly analyzed the material I'm referring to because your numbers and basic assumptions do not reflect the ideas and paradigms set forth.

And everything you've brought up has been answered or at least addressed, by the author. I don't know that it makes a ton of sense for us to get in a debate about whether or not it's plausible if we're not even talking about the same ideas or exploring them on fair grounds.

Quote: (09-06-2013 10:08 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

There is no player on here killing it on $1,000 a month get real. You're in cash burn land or top 1% looks and top 1% game.

I don't think anyone here has suggested that. The people who believe in setting aside five years of their life to become "financially independent" (by the author's standards) are making a sacrifice, which for some may include cutting back on the slaying pussy, for another type of goal. They're not claiming to be crushing birds left and right while they're doing it. In fact, if you've already read his work, you know he's not a player at all.

I get the feeling that those voicing their opposition here are just seeing it as impossible within their own expectations of life. All I'm saying is that if you operate from his life perspective, it is possible.

As for SEASIA, if a man were to adopt his life approach, he could live in Thailand for less than $500 a month if he absolutely wanted to - is that ideal? No. Would he be living a different lifestyle than most Thailand expats? Absolutely. But the ERE guy would use that time to increase his income in other ways once he was there. And he would probably never aim to live off $3K per month and smash a lot of girls because he's not about that life.

It's not about bringing in passive income off your investments so you can live large. It's about changing your idea of what's necessary and comfortable and then keeping your set expenses low enough that they can be covered by the income from your investments.

You can still choose to use your time to make more money and spend this additional money on whatever you want, but you maintain a ratio between passive income and set expenses that keeps you, by definition, financially free no matter what happens. What you do with that freedom is up to you.

All I said was that it's at least possible - not that I agreed with it. As far as I'm concerned, you confirmed my statement when you said:

Quote:Quote:

I have read all those ERE blogs in the past, the math works for a non-player.

If the math works for a non-player, it is, therefore, possible. Even if it's not possible for you.

I do think a lot of us could benefit from some hybrid of the guy's ideas. His book especially is a very good philisophical read and highly recommended even if you don't agree with his lifestyle. If that guy was as hungry for puss and travel as we are here, I honestly think he'd fit in well on the forum.

I prefer to read a wide range of material, even if I don't full support it. It opens up my mind to new possibilities, and I can throw away what I don't want to adopt into my life.

Anyhow, I digress. We've gotten way off-topic - how about we talk more about hustling?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Messages In This Thread