rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Public school math goes full retard: 3 * 4 = 11?

Public school math goes full retard: 3 * 4 = 11?

Quote: (08-21-2013 05:48 PM)TheRookie Wrote:  

This may seem just stupid, but it is inherently anti-male instruction - what smart little boy will want to sit there explaining the "how" and the "why" of such elementary problems? Utter nonsense - and it slows the math instruction down to a slow crawl so the bright students will be bored to tears.

Exactly my experience. I easily-grasped the concepts in primary school, and could tell the teacher the answer instantly. It required no thought. I didn't see why this would be considered 'wrong', but it was, and I was dragged to the Principal, back in the day when there was still corporal punishment.

"You could be cheating, or have read the answers. You need to write down the process."

"But it's slower. If the answer is right, why does it matter?"

"That's just how it's done. We can't make exceptions for you. How would the other children feel..."

Maths became the most boring subject in the world after that, and my interest degraded because of the tedious, unnecessary process to the degree that even now, I always know the answer right away, but then think i've done something wrong for not working it out slowly and methodically, so mentally then go through the longer process to arrive at the same answer.

Basically: i mentally self-sabotage my mathematical ability because of the repeated shaming of women in eduation.

I really need to train myself back out of that.

This policy is anti-male.

Messages In This Thread