rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What working in a butcher shop has taught me...

What working in a butcher shop has taught me...

Quote: (07-28-2013 07:35 PM)CJ_W Wrote:  

Quote: (07-28-2013 07:18 PM)Sleek Wrote:  

If you have worked a job with close to minimum wage pay, what have you learned (if anything)? Personally, I have been surprised and fulfilled with my job as a cashier at a butcher shop.

When you have a job that you love, you don't notice how much it may suck to those from the outside.

Also, that love becomes infectious and people notice and respect you more.

In college I Had a job doing Stocking at my college cafeteria, I'd wake up at 4am to get there by 4:45 to open everything, pick up the food/drinks from the truck person, fill out all the forms after counting and making sure everything was in order, then loading all of the goods into the corresponding freezers/fridges, and leave out certain goods that the cooks wanted in their cooking station, all alone then I would clean out the freezer/fridge, kitchen, and serving areas before they opened at 8:30. THEN after class in the evening, I would work cleaning everything, taking out the trash etc etc. . .

Sounds kinda crappy? well for some reason I LOVED IT. so It didn't really matter waking up that early, or taking out smelly trash. And because I loved it, all of the adults respected me, from the pepsi tuck guy in the morning always making jokes, to the head cooks who were COMPLETE ASSHOLES. . .to everyone else, but were real cool with me. . .they would even leave me some extras of the food they made. . .and I'm talking chain smoking, curse and yell like a sailor, I'm-50-years-old-and-still-cooking-in-a-college-cafeteria-what-the-fuck-happened-to-my-life-type-guys. That and I loved that they were assholes to the utter twat students that were working at the place(there were some real retards wow)

so yeah no real moral, no cool boss to tell you about, just pure enjoying what you're doing and reaping the benefits of it.

Also I don't know what to tell those who don't enjoy their job what to do either...

so maybe this wasn't all that helpful.[Image: confused.gif]

Definitely would add this to my list. Time goes by real fast when I work. I get there at 8:30 a.m. and by the time I leave at 6 or 7 p.m. it seems as if a five or six hours have passed. Real cool.

Quote: (07-28-2013 07:44 PM)kickboxer Wrote:  

You can't be fly working for $6.95.

I worked at a grocery store for a while; I didn't like it. Low level service jobs can suck my dick

I'm only 18 years old; I make $10/hour. I don't pay for all my expenses, so for my age, it's actually "good money." Will go toward college.

Quote: (07-28-2013 08:00 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Nice write-up.

Quote: (07-28-2013 07:18 PM)Sleek Wrote:  

A small tip can make the biggest difference. As a cashier, I'm not used to being tipped. I've done deliveries as well where I've traveled 30 miles and not received a tip ($200+ orders). When I was working behind the counter and this dude ordered $16 worth of food and gave me a $2 tip for his order, I was a little shocked. Next time, I'll let him skip the line. I was instantly appreciative.
(Note: MikeCF has definitely mentioned this before as a tactic he's used in clubs to get the bouncers on his side.)

I'd add:

Tip When It's Least Expected.

In a job like waiting tables, where tips are expected, waiters won't acknowledge you for tipping the standard rate. You'd have to tip well above average to get noticed, or go a lot. Both are expensive propositions.

For positions like Sleek's, tips are rare and memorable. Getting a solitary dollar or five will stand out more than a 40% tip on a restaurant bill would. Very to easy to create goodwill cheaply with the worker, as a customer.

By the same principle, tipping a bartender well when the bar is empty is much more effective in the long run than when the bar is packed and rowdy.

Is your shop actually a butcher shop? There are very few real butcher shops left - they're usually just meat cutters, where pieces of meat come in semi-processed already. They don't start with a whole carcass.

Definitely true and what I was getting at.

The meat comes semi-proccessed and it is cut with a machine. So nah, it isn't an "actual" butcher shop with the carcass and all. Have a feeling it is an economical thing.

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
~Michael Jordan

Messages In This Thread