rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Quitting a professional job to travel

Quitting a professional job to travel

Just curious if there are either any professionals out here who have given up that sort of job just because they got tired of it?

What did you do? Did you eventually go back? Did you not eventually get bored just diving and chasing tail? Jobs like doctor just don't seem like the kind where you can screw off for 5 months a year to go learn surfing, come back for 6, then leave for 4. I somewhat enjoy my job (field petroleum engineer), money and benifits are great, but the lifestyle and hours are insane, quality of life is non-exisistant, and it's the classic case of I'm rich because i rarely have a chance to spend my money.

I have a ton of stuff I'd like to do (Dive master, African safari, few months Muay Thai etc) but then what? Go do something similar, only to get bored again in a few years and repeat?

On the other side, are there people with jobs a lot more flexible (trades, etc), which lets them take 4-5 months off at a time, and they can get right back into it. What's the end game for you guys? I'm in a field job now, fastly approaching 30, and well I'm not 23 any more. I'm already feeling it. 20-40 hours straight work isn't as easy as it once was...

I guess my question is, is there any reconciliation for people like doctors or lawyers, who enjoy their work, but are happy living a simple life, and who realize there's a lot more to life than 100 hour work weeks?

Put another way, I didn't become an engineer because I like hard work and wanted to accomplish great things. I became an engineer because I was under the impression if I worked my ass off and paid my dues young, I'd have a job that paid the bills but gave more free time.

Messages In This Thread