rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Beef Against 10,000 hours practice

The Beef Against 10,000 hours practice

Quote: (06-06-2013 03:43 AM)Atilla Wrote:  

Quote: (06-06-2013 03:36 AM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

If I practice basketball enough, does that mean I will get as good as Lebron James?

You won’t, but by dedicating let’s say 10,000 hours of practice, you’ll be superior to probably 99 percent of the guys at your local basketball court.

Could he spend, say 2,000 hours, on another endeavor (one he was naturally suited for) while reaching an elite level?

If so, what's that say about the 10,000 hour rule?

Yes, practice matters. But there is a huge genetic component to this.

Look, I've been in too many fighting gyms and seen guys come in and after a few months dominate guys who have been training for years.

I used to box with a guy who wouldn't lift weights for several months. He'd then go into the weight room and bench 315 pounds within 3 workouts. He was still in high school.

You really think that an average guy who puts 10,000 hours into wrestling is going to beat a guy like that?

On the flip side, even as a little kid people would say to my parents, "Talking to your son is like talking to an adult."

My natural aptitude was in intellectual endeavors - especially those requiring a combination of intellect and practical reasoning, i.e., wisdom.

10,000 hours at a mixed martial arts gym and maybe I make the UFC as a low level fighter. 10,000 reading, thinking, and writing...and my outcome is much better.

Look at Arnold's career. He sucked at every sport BUT bodybuilding. That's why he choose bodybuilding...or we should say that bodybuilding choose him.

If Arnold had put 10,000 hours into swimming, we wouldn't have ever heard of him.

Messages In This Thread