rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cartagena vs. Santo Domingo

Cartagena vs. Santo Domingo

Quote: (02-21-2011 12:32 PM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

Quote: (06-03-2010 09:02 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (06-03-2010 07:39 AM)Shaman Wrote:  

Just to second him, I've heard the same thing about the Dominicans: their Spanish is totally unintelligible to any other Spanish-speakers, it's totally fucked, don't learn from it.

I am a native speaker from Spain; do not learn Dominican spanish. They speak extremely fast, uneducated and use words that do not even exist in the spanish dictionary. It's like telling a non-english speaker to learn English from Larry the cable guy.

I personally have about 2 Dominican girlfriends, and they are very sweet. However, I cannot speak to them in spanish; it both confuses and frustrates the hell out of me. ** they are great in bed however!

IMO, the best countries to learn Spanish from are (in order of Best country Descending):

1. Spain (obvious)
2. Colombia (Probably the best Spanish I have heard next to Spain)
3. Venezuela (Very educated spanish)
4. Honduras (Capital city only of Tegucigalpa)
5. Cuba (Cubans are very educated, but have a strong accent to their Spanish)
6. Panama (These are a close tie to Honduras)
7. Argentina/Uruguay/Chile -These countries try hard to be European, and should try harder to be themselves - which reflects in their speech, and vocabulary.
8. Puerto Rico/Peru/Ecuador - Use these as a VERY LAST OPTION!

Mexico has a very distinct and strong accent, however, the capital of DF has very educated people - still thick, and heavy Mexican accent.

My .02

I am a native Spanish speaker as well. Dominicans and Puerto Rican Spanish is truly jacked up. The best clear and easier to understand hands down Spanish that I have ever heard has to be in Antigua, Guatemala. I spoke to Gringos in Spanish there who came to Antigua's language school for two weeks and their Spanish pronunciation and vocabulary was very impressive.To me Spanish accent (as in Spain) is very hard to understand. Whenever I am watching a movie from Spain I put the English subtitles on.

Plus Guatemala is a LOT cheaper than other countries for learning Spanish. You can get private lessons in Guatemala for the same or less than group lessons in other countries.

Messages In This Thread