rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Continue Graduate Film School Or Not

Continue Graduate Film School Or Not

I know very little about the workings of the film industry, but thought I'd point out one thing, and offer one suggestion.

No doubt most people who go to film schools don't actually end up being famous directors, but it does happen. The "sleeper" hit from a few years ago "District 9" was written and directed by a South African who is a graduate of the Vancouver Film School. So it does happen. Also, I'm sure film school DOES actually teach useful info. About how to direct action, set scenes and all manner of things. I think it's a bit naive to think you're going to learn all of these things just by making movies yourself with a camcorder.

There's obviously not a lot of room at the top. i.e. Actually making FILMS. But the content learned at film school is surely helpful in shooting video in general. With the internet and whatnot there are so many people shooting shockingly bad videos and hoping for some sort of commercial gain. A graduate from a film school who can't get work directly in the industry (I'm guessing this is more than 50% of graduates?) can still use their knowledge to help tell less exciting stories for bloggers and others who need to post video in order to stay competitive.

Messages In This Thread