rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is it worth it to go for long shot dreams?

Is it worth it to go for long shot dreams?

I followed my dream after college (journalism). It worked out for a few years, but now I'm on to something else, having accomplished more in my short journalism career than most guys have accomplished by age 50. For reference, I'm 28. It was a wild ride that sent me to incredible places around the globe, and gave me a lifetime of stories to tell. But, a series of setbacks and realizations forced me to make new moves and to cut and run while I still could.

My take on it: choosing to go into the arts (journalism, acting, photography, filmmaking, music, etc.) is not a rational choice where you weigh out your options, and choose to become a guitar player instead of a doctor or something. It's a lifestyle, you KNOW deep down that it's what you want because you live and breath it. You don't choose it, it chooses you type of thing. You do it because you simply want it more than anyone else does. You have to be willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING in your life to make it work.

The fact that you said "I think I could make a good journalist" means you already probably don't have what it takes. Most people don't. If you did, you wouldn't be asking here. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the truth. Nobody is going to give you the benefit of the doubt in those industries; you're in or you're out, and you're only ever as good as your last gig.

Additional thoughts: people resent you if you have success in the arts. Even when I was being nationally recognized for my work, friends and family still asked me when I was going to get a "real job." That shit eats away at you after awhile.

If you are truly, deeply passionate about something, then you will regret it if you don't pursue it. Obviously. But otherwise, get a real job.

Messages In This Thread