rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread

Thanks Prophylaxis for the quick response.

Quote: (02-02-2013 04:08 AM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Hey Bonkers,

Sounds like you have some anatomical knowledge under your sleeves [Image: wink.gif].

Heh, thanks, I took an anatomy class back in Uni.

Quote:Quote:

First thing - by fit ball, I assume you mean the 'swiss ball'. These were very popular about 5 years ago, even Physios would advocate them. Short answer - waste of time. There's no added benefit of using a swiss ball compared to a chair with good lumbar support. (Most people cannot sustain a good lordosis in the lumbar spine with prolonged sitting unsupported).

Ahh, fair enough. Thanks.

How regular do you swim? Rotator cuff tendinopathies are very common the swimming population. Your description of symptoms could also be that of an 'impingement', as you mention pain at horizontal abduction or 90degrees, this is the position where the subacromial space is at it's narrowest.

I don't swim very often at all. In fact the reason I went swimming was because a person that I workout with recommended that I do it after a workout. In fact I hadn't been swimming for about a year before this episode. - maybe it was a case of underuse.

Couple questions to help me out:

Does it hurt to externally rotate?
[Image: 13095256(300x300).jpg]

Try do this with resistance against the other hand, or by pulling a towel apart with both hands (elbows by your side). Does this hurt or feel weaker compared to the other side?

The pain occurs at the end of my range of external rotation

Even with resistance, the pain occurs at the end of the range.

The right side feels a bit weaker and I feel a bit more conscious of it and it feels 'vulnerable'.

Now repeat the movement while squeezing the shoulder blades back. Has this improved the pain?

Squeezing the shoulders back increases the range of motion, but the pain occured again at the end of the (greater) range of motion. Also when trying to internally rotate, I felt a little bit of pain (wasn't happening before)

Also try lifting the arms in horizontal abduction. Now, try perform this while squeezing the shoulder blades back. Has this improved the pain?

the pain occurs at the very top of the abduction (ie arm facing up to the ceiling) and with the shoulder blades back the pain was slightly worse.

The pain does seem a bit better with some warming up. But the worry is still there with chinups.

Messages In This Thread