rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Pro Gun Control People

Pro Gun Control People

Quote: (01-11-2013 12:11 AM)durangotang Wrote:  

Quote: (01-11-2013 12:01 AM)j r Wrote:  

This is the perfect example of why we can't have sensible policies in this country right now. When it comes to gun control, we're stuck in between one bunch of crazies who think showing pictures of the Holocaust is a meaningful argument on one side and a bunch of SWPLs who think guns are icky and want them eliminated.

Sensible? What does that even mean? Is that your argument?

Just be sensible and register your weapons so they can later ban them and confiscate them. No thanks.

I'd rather keep my rights. You can be "sensible" and exchange your rights for privileges.

My argument is that we live in a democracy and things get done by a political process, so making these sorts of extreme arguments really does nothing but help to further marginalize people who want meaningful gun rights. Throwing out Holocaust pictures just says extremist to most people.

As for sensible, here is my sensible stance: the federal government should guarantee every American's ability to keep and bear arms. Since I believe in federalism, however, individuals states and municipalities are allowed to adopt suitable regulations so long as it doesn't render the Second Amendment right meaningless.

To be more specific:

-everyone, no matter where they live, should be able to purchase and store handguns and semi-automatic rifles and transport them to and from ranges
- individual jurisdictions can institute background checks, cooling off periods, and licensing and registration requirements, but licenses should be "shall issue"
-every jurisdiction should have some clear process for applying for a concealed carry permit; although it's fine for large cities to do concealed carry on a "may issue" basis
-i'm on the fence about open carry. i can see why a large city would not want to allow it or license it
-bans on "assault weapons" or certain magazines are mostly meaningless. the cut-off point should be fully automatic weapons

Put in place the above rules and every American has meaningful gun rights and every community as the ability to regulate as necessary for that community. If you think that making someone wait a week before buying a pistol is the first step on the road to the concentration camp, I guess we just agree to disagree.

Messages In This Thread