rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Feeling like a Black Republican

Feeling like a Black Republican

Quote: (10-03-2012 02:20 PM)jammer Wrote:  

This pretty much refutes to your point.

No, unsurprisingly, it supports my position. It even comes from one of the links I've already provided!

The Great Migration of 6 million blacks out of the Black Belt of the South into Democrat Political Machine held cities in the north started in the 1910s, was tied to factory labor shortages around both WWI and WWII, and forced relocated Blacks to register and vote Democrat if they wanted jobs with the Machine. I just wish the chart extended before 1936 (the first year Blacks were allowed in the Democratic Convention) and was actual registered party instead of "affiliation".

Quote: (10-03-2012 02:30 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

1. The Civil Rights Act was proposed by a Democrat and signed into law by a Democratic President.

Correction: the 1964 Civil Rights Act was proposed by a Democrat, voted for by a larger percentage of Republicans than Democrats, and signed into law by a post-assassination Democratic Vice President ...after the Republicans had already proposed and passed the Civil Rights Acts of 1960 and 1957. Republicans have a long history of passing multiple Civil Rights Acts dating back to 1866.

If Black voters really were responding to Civil Rights Acts being passed, why did the earlier Civil Rights Acts of 1960 and 1957 by Republicans completely fail to move Black voters back to the Republican party? Why did the largest changes in Black Democrat registration come at times that align with economic booms like the WWI and WWII relocation efforts to staff Victory Factories, not with times that align with passages of Civil Rights Acts?

It appears more likely that existing Political Machines in the cities they were relocated to are what forced Blacks to change to Democrat, which is why they were already voting in the majority Democratic party starting in 1948 after the ramp up for WWII, long before 1964. Corrupt political machine hiring practices that still continue today.

2. Prior democratic figures (Truman, Roosevelt and his wife Eleanor, etc) had made very visible strides in putting forward Civil Rights that Republicans were not making. These include open references to desegregation and anti-lynching laws, among other things.

And it was Eisenhower who both forced the Army to desegregate and sent the 101st Airborne to walk black children to newly desegregated schools. Nixon who worked to pass the 1957 Civil Rights Act. Spiro Agnew who passed some of the first bans against segregation in public housing. Nixon who put racial quotas on the construction industry and forced the Building Trades to integrate. Nixon who forced southern schools to integrate, with the number of blacks attending segregated schools in the South declining from 70% to 18.4% in the first two years of his administration. The Republicans kept on pushing desegregation and Civil Rights agendas long after Black voters had abandoned them and moved to the Democratic party, and keep doing so today. It's really amazing how much they keep doing for so little love returned.

I don't see much academic support for this theory

Really? Well I guess I gots me a Masters Thesis then. [Image: banana.gif]

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
--Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Messages In This Thread