rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Why do people compare game to sales?

Why do people compare game to sales?

I've often said here that game=sales. As I have been in sales of high dollar items (cars/trucks) in the past I can see, and have experienced first hand, the obvious similarities between the two. Because they are so similar I never felt there was much reason to expand on it. However, some of the responses in this thread tell me that a lot of guys are not getting it for some reason, so let me try and go a bit deeper into it.

From the start I must stress I am talking about high dollar sales for the most part. Yes, a good salesman can sell anything from cell phones to Slurpees. Those type of items are not long term, emotional investments so they are more of a spur of the moment thing that generally has a small economic impact on a persons life. They are not important, emotional investments. For most people a new car/truck/house/etc is not something they just buy on the spur of the moment as such a purchase can have enormous impact on their lives for years to come. Hence, the decision becomes emotional.

When someone is buying something that will have a large impact on their lives, causing emotions to be in play, it comes down to more than price. It comes down to comfort and trust. Back when I was in sales there were 3 other dealerships selling the same thing I was within the general area so it was easy to cross shop for price if a customer wished. So how does a salesman sell in this environment and still make a good commission without resorting to giving the inventory away? He sells himself. Those other dealers had the same car or truck but they didn't have me. I radiated comfort, trust, humor, empathy without ever losing sight of the fact their ass was going home in that seat. (I never talked price either until their buying temp was way up. Notice how PUA's have stolen a sales term?)

Comparing the above to the player? Well, there are thousands of guys out there she could be banging. Why should she bang you instead of one of them? Because you make a connection with her based on comfort, trust, humor, empathy, etc Sound familiar?

A salesmen uses many of the same principles players use.

They will challenge; "Is that price too much for you to handle?" (Note; There is a difference between that and "Is that price too high?" Can you see it?) Player version; "Is one glass of wine going to kill you?"

They will do a take away; "Well, let's look at this cheaper model..." Player version; Rolls overs and lights a smoke when encountering LMR.

They will smoke out hidden objections; "If we can get the payment under $400 is there anything that would keep you from taking this car home today?" Player version; "What do you say we get a bottle of merlot and get out of here?"

They will use voice inflection to emphasize words in different ways. As an example I say "Why do you say that?" a lot. While I don't put a lot of emphasis on any one of those words, just slightly more on the "why", if one was to say it like this; "Why do YOU say that?" it comes across much differently than "Why do you say THAT?" In the first one you challenge the person while the second challenges their position.

(I should add that "Why do you say that?" has worked very well for me in both sales and game in getting someone to open up. Much much better than either agreeing or disagreeing with them as it forces them to tell you where they are coming from without disputing their position.)

Voice inflection is something a good salesman learns the nuances of and something a player should also understand and practice.

Salesmen have to approach. They are approach machines where rejection means the customer just wasn't ABLE to buy. Like a player, the salesman that is negatively impacted by rejection will not last long in the game.

What about the high roller that rolls up to YOU, acting all imperious while looking for a car for his daughter for graduation? He's just like the dime that thinks she is better than you. You need to flip the script and get him following your lead, respecting you, otherwise you won't make the sale (Or make any money if you do get him to sign.)

There is so much more, but the above spells it out pretty clearly.

I suggest guys buy this book (Not an affiliate link);
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Closing-Sa...Zig+Ziglar

It's less than ten bux. Read that and tell me you can't see any correlation between game and sales.

btw-It predates all of the PUA material out there by over 15 years and the similarities will astound the non believer.

I also suggest that guys, especially those just getting in, get into sales to boost their game. Even if it's just part time a night or two a week. You will lose your approach anxiety quickly and you will learn to lead people where they want to go even if they don't know it.

Messages In This Thread