rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Straight Guys with "Gay Voice"

Straight Guys with "Gay Voice"

Quote: (03-16-2012 12:49 PM)Zebra_Cakes Wrote:  

Quote: (03-16-2012 12:42 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

Quote: (03-16-2012 12:30 PM)Zebra_Cakes Wrote:  

It's just the voice I have.

I am a little surprised that your effeminate voice hasn't held you back any. My voice regularly holds me back, because it's of a character that's hard to hear in loud environments, and chicks quickly get fed up if they can't hear me.

Well, I'm naturally loud, so I wonder if that might have anything to do with it. I have looked into ways to alter my voice. I'll search your thread and give it a read and try some stuff out.

Beyond my voice getting deeper, I haven't had much luck changing it for the better. You'd probably need a good vocal coach, but there are plenty of shysters who don't know shit, plus you may have to do it for awhile to have an effect - everyone I've heard from says their voice lessons are incredibly valuable, but that it's something you have to do consistently. There are also some books and programs that you can get online.

Here are a couple names you can Google for voice programs: Nancy Daniels, Eric Arceneaux. I don't have strong opinions on them, and my personal experience is pretty limited. Daniels' book was pretty easy to follow, I just never did the exercises with any consistency.

Menace, it should be possible. For instance, people often do convincing impressions of people with lower registers, in a way that doesn't sound stilted or artificial. If you can imitate a deeper voice convincingly, and it feels natural enough, you can speak regularly in that voice too. It's mostly a matter of finding that new lower pitch, and training yourself to consistently speak in that pitch instead of falling back into your old higher pitch. Maybe try finding colorful reading (Edgar Allen Poe is a favorite) and recording yourself speaking it at a lower pitch. Of course, there's a lot more to voice than just pitch. Daniels has a book with chapters devoted to improving different aspects of your voice.

Quote:Quote:

The only thing that really really matters is vocal projection. That is, how loud you are and how far your voice carries. There are plenty of dudes that have high voices that get laid.

Not so. It's not the be-all, end-all, but it is a factor however small. In a loud bar, projection is more important, but you're not forced to have one or the other necessarily.

Messages In This Thread