rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

American Beauty: Beta Rebellion & Female Delusion

American Beauty: Beta Rebellion & Female Delusion

I rewatched this film recently. Its red pill, but to me it was more of a tragedy than a triumph.

What I got out of it is everyone puts up a front and they lie to themselves, they settle. The marine was a closet gay, the wife was pretending consumerism brought her happiness, etc. The cheerleader pretended to have a good sex life. The daughter was saving for fake boobs. "Never underestimate the power of denial."

Lester rightly shakes off the yoke because he is not appreciated, but what does he gain? He does become happier, but he has to grovel to get a fast food job. He does win the girl, so to speak, but he ultimately decides this was not what he wanted after all. While he dies with a smile on his face after having thrown off the yoke, he nevertheless dies tragicly.

Most of the other characters' lives end up worse. Col Fitts outs himself and will face murder charges. The Real Estate King is facing an expensive divorce. The wife's fling ends, crushing her. Angela finds someone who genuinely cares for her, and Jane falls in love, and it is this knowledge which brings a smile to Lester's face before he dies.

So if you watch this film to model how to act, the only takeaway is don't be like Lester or you'll end up like him in a dead end job with a dead end family.

The one person who seemed to be living life on their own terms was Ricky Fitts. Jane remarks that it was his confidence that attracted her to him, even while Angela is calling him mental. Ultimately its his ability to see beauty all around him and the courage to strike out on his own path that cause her to fall in love with him. Also, its noteworthy that as a teenager in business for himself he has $30,000 saved while Lester at that aged flipped burgers.

Messages In This Thread