rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

Quote: (01-23-2012 12:35 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

Not too many people on this forum appear to be the blue collar tradesmen types (am I the only one???)

Railroad Union (don't know anyone in here but I heard its good)

Longshoreman and Railroad guys are also protected by old laws on the books so if you ever get hurt, you are compensated pretty heavy.

I was a railroad engineer for 13 years. It's not hard to make $100K but the hours are really bad. You are basically on call 7/24 so it's not a good lifestyle if you like to schedule your life in any way. And don't plan on having weekends or holidays off. While you might not actually work them, if you get lucky, you will still be on call. The phone can ring about any time.

I have no desire to go back to it because of the lifestyle, but I am working on contracting services to the railroad. Good money there and a regular schedule.

Also, the injury labor laws G mentions go under FELA. Railroaders don't get workmans comp, which is good. FELA pays out a LOT better. It's too much to explain here but if interested google it.

Messages In This Thread