rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Houellebecq's "Whatever"

Houellebecq's "Whatever"

There's no doubt Roissy has been hugely influenced by Houellebecq.

Truly a brilliant book. The first time the new realities of the sexual marketplace were laid out coherently in print. Even more brilliant since he attacks the aftermath of the sexual revolution in terms that will hit home with the French; comparing it unfavourably to laissez-faire capitalism.

See this quote:

Quote:Quote:

In our societies, sex represents a second system of differentiation, independent from money. It behaves as a system of differentiation at least as merciless as money. The impacts of these two systems are actually equivalent. Sexual liberalism creates a phenomenon of acute pauperization, just like wild liberalism does. Some make love everyday; some five or six times in their life or never. Some make love to dozens of women, some never do. It is called “market law”. In an economic system where lay-offs are prohibited, everyone more or less finds their place. In a sexual system where adultery is prohibited, everyone more or less manages to find a bed partner. In a liberal economic system, some build huge fortunes; some endure unemployment and misery. In a perfect liberal sex system, some have a varied and exciting erotic life; some are reduced to masturbation and loneliness. Economic liberalism is broadening the field of struggle, broadening it to all the stages of life and to all social classes. On an economical point of view, Raphael Tisserand belongs to the winners; on a sexual point of view, to the losers. Some are winners on the two criteria; some are losers on the two criteria. Companies fight for some young graduates; women fight for some young men; men fight for some young women; trouble and agitation are considerable.

One of the biggest challenges if your world view is nihilist is overcoming nihilism to approach life in a positive way.

You must face that there is no real meaning or purpose in life. Then you must go about creating meaning for yourself. Figure out what pursuits you find meaningful. You're the master of your destiny; you can do anything you like. It's not just about selfish indulgence in your base desires (though you need to take care of those too), but about a broader view of what matters to you and discovering what you find fulfilling beyond chasing the next bang.

Houellebecq doesn't dwell on the possibility of overcoming nihilism in Whatever. With good reason; many people live the kind of meaningless, directionless and soulless lives described in the book. The author describes what life is like for those people. The losers of the sexual revolution, the spiritual losers of the technological and social changes of the past ~50 years. Their poverty is defined in terms of no access to sex and even worse: lack of love and meaningful interpersonal relationships.

The challenge is to overcome nihilism and find meaning. Houellebecq discusses the possibility of overcoming in The Possibility of an Island and Platform. And there is some suggestion, as basilransom mentions, that he considers religion a possible way to overcome these problems.

To me, that's very encouraging and not particularly depressing at all. Overcoming is a challenge, it's a lifelong mission. But it isn't a depressing prospect. If you're interested in these questions read Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil. I also recommend Albert Camus' essay The Myth of Sisyphus.

If chasing pussy feels like you're constantly trying to fill a void you're doing it wrong. Spend time focusing on other aspects of your life before going back on the prowl. I've had periods where I didn't have much going on apart from the game. And I mostly remained unsatisfied no matter how many notches I racked up. Girls should be a nice complement to your life, not it's main purpose. I'm just beginning to realise this and I enjoy everything much more. Reminds me of that film Shame. The protagonist always wants more but never seems satisfied; he's a monomaniac. Nothing good comes of that.

The playboy lifestyle shouldn't be like that.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Messages In This Thread