rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Quick Trip Data Sheet: Montego Bay

Quick Trip Data Sheet: Montego Bay

Quote: (12-29-2011 02:22 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I'm digging all this Jamaica info lately. It's putting the place on the map for me. Question for you guys, are the all-inclusive resorts your only option when staying in Negril or Montego Bay? Like Scotian said, I want to experience the food, culture, ganja, music, nature and of course women too. I don't care about the club med experience at a bunch of resorts that are owned and run by Westerners. Is it possible to have a more local experience and see the real Jamaica around there?

Also, anyone have any advice for off the beaten path places? Like maybe some cool places to see out in nature.

If I went, I definitely wouldn't pass up Kingston despite all the warnings. It's probably wildly exaggerated, like Rio.

And I also take it the best time for hooking up with tourist girls would from now till spring?

Well, I've never stayed at an all inclusive resort so I can't really comment on them, but like most guys on this forum, they don't really appeal to me and you definitely WON'T get the real authentic Jamaican experience.

It also really depends on how long you go, 7-14 days should be enough, but I ran into many people who were doing a month long trip (mostly Euros and Canucks). For your first trip, I'd recommend flying to Mo Bay and staying there for a night or two, then moving on to Negril.

Jamaica isn't cheap overall but it can be economical, of course it all depends on your tastes and budget, I tend to go cheap on the hotels ($50-80) and eat a lot of street meat ($4-8) for a decent size jerk chicken with rice and peas and a beer. I spend lots at night time, I did up my finally tally for this past 2 week bender and it came in at a whopping $3500 with airfare included, it could have been half that but I moved around a lot, went out to clubs almost every night and did activities like fishing, snorkeling, hiking, museums, etc.

In Mo Bay, I recommend staying a night or two at Bethel Court in Mount Salem, if you book through their website or their facebook page, Steve, the owner will have a driver pick you up at the airport for free, hostel beds are $20 and private rooms with A/C and WI-FI are $50. I stayed there for almost 3 weeks (too long now that I think about it) but I had a blast and it is usually packed with young 20-something tourists from all over, lots of drunk Canadians, Euros, Aussies, Yanks, etc. Richard or Lucan (local guys who work there) will take you out and show you around, help you buy a cell (which is invaluable if u plan on hooking up with a local), take you to bars, etc. Just buy them a bite to eat and a beer or two. This is also an ideal place to hook up with other travelers and travel with them to Negril.

Also, if you want a local Jamaican girl, pipelining on social networking sites is essential do this a couple weeks before you go, build rapport with a couple chicks (not too crazy, I almost "over pipelined" lol) and meet them on the Hip Strip. Suggest taking them to Negril Ochi, Blue Mountains, etc. Many don't work and haven't been to other places, Mo Bay is the BEST place to find a cool local chick, be direct in your plans "I'm not here for a relationship just a fling, I'll pay for hotel and meals, etc", this is probably uber-beta in some guys books, but you're there to fuck, not fuck around, if she isn't down or is playing games "I'm not easy, blah blah" ditch em and move onto the next, don't waste too much time with these chicks. Be direct, don't worry about coming on too strong, try to kiss them on the first date, preferably within the first couple hours, remember, this is Jamaica, these chicks grew up dealing with Jamaican men, if that needs further explanation, I'll expand on this another time, but they aren't pussies, lets just say that.

In Negril you'll find all the good Jamaica vibes, I only stayed there for 3 days but was very impressed, I stayed at the Caribbean Sunset Resort, a bit off the beach ($200J cab ride), but very comfortable single rooms for $55 and hostel rooms for about $20-25. NEGRIL IS THE BEST, GO THERE!

***In places like Mo Bay, Negril and Ocho Rios (Ochi), the hustler/tout guys are a bit intense sometimes, they will never hurt, just say no thanks, respect mon, give em a fist pound and keep going. This does wear on a guy though and gets VERY annoying after awhile***

If you're looking for "off the beaten path" check out Treasure Beach, I didn't but wish I did (too much partying in Mo Bay!!!), if you do go, PLEASE report back!

Also, for off the beaten path that is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VIBE than anywhere in western Jamaica (beaches), go to the Blue Mountains, just outside of Kingston ($3000-4000J) and stay at Mount Edge Guest House, 100% recommended, I could write a book about that place, its mint. Do some hiking, bird watching, coffee tour, ganja smoking, its so beautiful there, my favorite part of Jamaica.

Another option that I used was "pro homes ja" good, clean secure private rentals in Mo Bay, Ochi and Kingston.

Anyone going to Jamaica, PM me and I will give you the #s and Facebook details of drivers in Mo Bay and Kingston (I"m sure they won't mind the business) I also know guys who can get you what you're looking for (wink wink) party wise.

November til April is the best time to go, most tourists!

Good luck

Messages In This Thread