rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help needed on roadtrip plan San Fran - Miami

Help needed on roadtrip plan San Fran - Miami

Quote: (12-14-2011 06:53 PM)Amour Fou Wrote:  

I'll be taking this one month roadtrip across the US with my old man starting in San Fran and ending in Miami, from around the 20th of Jan to the 20th of Feb.

As there are plenty of Americans here, I thought it would be nice to ask for some tips and help.

It will be winter, and that is a special concern of mine, as I am not used to the cold. As such, I intend to take a route closer to the south, where I guess will be less cold.

A rough plan would be: (California) San Fran -> L.A. -> (Arizona) Flagstaff (with some detours to the Grand Canyon) -> (New Mexico) Albuquerque -> Roswell (my dad wants to check the aliens...) -> (Texas) Dallas -> Houston -> (Louisiana) New Orleans -> (Florida, not sure which places to go) -> Miami

Not sure if I'll be doing it by Greyhound bus or renting a car. I am not sure also if it will be too cold and what are some good places to visit on the way.

Are there any places that I absolutely must see? Any places to avoid? Will the weather be harsh? Any cautions?

Thanks in advance

You probably won't want a car when staying within SF city limits, unless you plan on venturing out to other places in the Bay Area. All of the major sites in that city are in dense areas where parking space is limited. Garages charge NYC prices. There's also decent public transit within the city limits (Muni buses and trains, street cable cars, and BART). Definitely check out the Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Union Square, Golden Gate Bridge, Presidio, Marina District, Mission District, Twin Peaks, and the Financial District (Transamerica Pyramid building).

Riding a bicycle is also a great way to get around the central areas of the city.

Check out SFStation.com to find out what events are going down the week you'll be there. It's a good source of nightlife intel. If you're there on a Wednesday, go to Vessel in Union Square (vesselsf.net).

Matrix Lounge in the Marina is also a great look (especially on Sundays).

Definitely get a car for the drive to LA afterwards and for the rest of the trip. When you drive to LA, I highly recommend taking Rt. 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) along the coast. It's hands down the most beautiful drive I've ever taken. The scenery is hella epic and it gets very dramatic as you approach Big Sur, near the city of Carmel. That stretch of the drive is considered the most beautiful in the United States, if not the world.

If you have some time, stop by Hearst Castle, which is in Carmel. Now, that's what's you'll call living large. Santa Barbara is also worth a quick stop. You'll be just 90 miles from LA by then.

Once in LA, stick mainly with the westside of town (Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles). You may also want to check out Malibu (Zuma State Beach is sick). Hollywood is worth a visit during the day, and especially for nightlife. Griffith Park in the Los Feliz area of the city is a great place to get an epic view of the city and the Hollywood sign.

LA is big and you'll definitely need a car to get around. Be careful because traffic is super congested.

For Miami, South Beach is where it's at. Main nightlife is on the following streets: Washington, Collins, and Ocean.

There's also a great Brazilian bar called Boteco. Usually some nice Latin chicks over there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Messages In This Thread