rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Is New York City becoming like DC?

Is New York City becoming like DC?

"Is New York City Becoming Like DC?"

For the sake of all in New York, I hope not. Interesting topic here. Not much I can add on top of Strangelove as his analysis is pretty dead on. I don't live up in NYC (although I hope to soon), but I am up there all the time for work and get out quite a bit.

I haven't noticed NYC getting DC'ed at all, but I believe it's possible. However, I will add the caveat that it's only possible to a SMALL DEGREE. I say small because there is a floor for NYC. No matter how bad the recession gets, even if we get up to insane levels of 15 percent unemployment, NYC will always have aspiring models/actresses living off someone else's dime (usually their parents') chasing their dream. No matter how bad things get, NYC is still an epicenter for fashion and film. Same goes for Hollywood. (I was there a few weeks ago, had a phenomenal time and honestly felt nauseous coming back to DC).

So if New York is becoming like DC, there is a limit to that transformation. The recession will grind down the numbers of hot girls to no end in cities with no looks-based industry, but in New York and LA, there are said industry safeguards. Think of it as a roller coaster just before the plunge. In New York, it will only go a quarter of the way down the track. In DC however, where the number of MA-required, policy-oriented jobs are increasing exponentially and no fashion industry to speak of, there are no safeguards. The car on the tracks goes straight into the abyss, with no end in sight.

Bottom line: It may get tougher to consistently find 8s and 9s in New York, but there will always be a core group still there. (Likely those mentioned above, with no jobs and no responsibilities going out on a Weds. night at midnight in the meatpacking district).

Messages In This Thread