rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tinder and the Dating Apocolypse

Tinder and the Dating Apocolypse

I just started reading and I already hate this article. Let's explore that.

Quote:Quote:

“Ew, this guy has Dad bod,” a young woman says of a potential match, swiping left. Her friends smirk, not looking up.

“Tinder sucks,” they say. But they don’t stop swiping.

Again, look at what women do, not what they say.

At a booth in the back, three handsome twentysomething guys in button-downs are having beers. They are Dan, Alex, and Marty, budding investment bankers at the same financial firm, which recruited Alex and Marty straight from an Ivy League campus. (Names and some identifying details have been changed for this story.) When asked if they’ve been arranging dates on the apps they’ve been swiping at, all say not one date, but two or three: “You can’t be stuck in one lane … There’s always something better.” “If you had a reservation somewhere and then a table at Per Se opened up, you’d want to go there,” Alex offers.

“Guys view everything as a competition,” he elaborates with his deep, reassuring voice. “Who’s slept with the best, hottest girls?” With these dating apps, he says, “you’re always sort of prowling. You could talk to two or three girls at a bar and pick the best one, or you can swipe a couple hundred people a day—the sample size is so much larger. It’s setting up two or three Tinder dates a week and, chances are, sleeping with all of them, so you could rack up 100 girls you’ve slept with in a year.”

They're talking to fucking Wolves of Wallstreet as if they represent the vast majority of men? Most men would be happy with just one decently cute, not obese girl who's nice to them, and will never be bad ass Wallstreet Alpha Males. But the article needs to present the sexes as being "equal" in the current dating market, otherwise you have to admit that women are the ones with all the power and all the control (and therefore their own unhappiness is their own fault, see the first quote in this post). And since only Alphas have the dating problems of plentifulness that women do, they have to present the Alphas in place of all men.

“It’s instant gratification,” says Jason, 26, a Brooklyn photographer, “and a validation of your own attractiveness by just, like, swiping your thumb on an app. You see some pretty girl and you swipe and it’s, like, oh, she thinks you’re attractive too, so it’s really addicting, and you just find yourself mindlessly doing it.” “Sex has become so easy,” says John, 26, a marketing executive in New York. “I can go on my phone right now and no doubt I can find someone I can have sex with this evening, probably before midnight.”

Truly, this article represents the opinion of the average man in America.

[Image: facepalm3.gif]

Meanwhile, the bullshit accumulates:

It is the very abundance of options provided by online dating which may be making men less inclined to treat any particular woman as a “priority,” according to David Buss, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin who specializes in the evolution of human sexuality. “Apps like Tinder and OkCupid give people the impression that there are thousands or millions of potential mates out there,” Buss says. “One dimension of this is the impact it has on men’s psychology. When there is a surplus of women, or a perceived surplus of women, the whole mating system tends to shift towards short-term dating. Marriages become unstable. Divorces increase. Men don’t have to commit, so they pursue a short-term mating strategy. Men are making that shift, and women are forced to go along with it in order to mate at all.”

Yes, it's MEN that have all these options now.

Because men = Alpha Men. And as for the 90% of other men, well, they don't really exist.

Now hold on there a minute. “Short-term mating strategies” seem to work for plenty of women too; some don’t want to be in committed relationships, either, particularly those in their 20s who are focusing on their education and launching careers. Alex the Wall Streeter is overly optimistic when he assumes that every woman he sleeps with would “turn the tables” and date him seriously if she could. And yet, his assumption may be a sign of the more “sinister” thing he references, the big fish swimming underneath the ice: “For young women the problem in navigating sexuality and relationships is still gender inequality,” says Elizabeth Armstrong, a professor of sociology at the University of Michigan who specializes in sexuality and gender. “Young women complain that young men still have the power to decide when something is going to be serious and when something is not—they can go, ‘She’s girlfriend material, she’s hookup material.’ … There is still a pervasive double standard. We need to puzzle out why women have made more strides in the public arena than in the private arena.”

The article just can't bring itself to blame women for anything, can it? Instead of women being the ones who control the dating market, they're actually victims of it, since men are the ones who decide when a relationship becomes serious or not. Right.

Of course, the article fails to mention that all women have to do is stop using Tinder, say they won't have sex with any man they haven't dated for six months, then actually NOT have sex with any man they haven't dated for six months. Boom, problem solved. Even Wall Street Wolf Alpha Alex would give in and get in a committed relationship if it was the only way he could get sex. It isn't, so he won't. In the meantime, the rest of men are getting fucked by the dating market (but not by women, sadly enough).

A "fuckboy” is a young man who sleeps with women without any intention of having a relationship with them or perhaps even walking them to the door post-sex. He’s a womanizer, an especially callous one, as well as kind of a loser. The word has been around for at least a decade with different meanings; it’s only in about the last year that it has become so frequently used by women and girls to refer to their hookups.

“What percentage of boys now do you think are fuckboys?,” I asked some young women from New Albany, Indiana.

“One hundred percent,” said Meredith, 20, a sophomore at Bellarmine University in Louisville.

“No, like 90 percent,” said Ashley (the same as mentioned earlier). “I’m hoping to find the 10 percent somewhere. But every boy I’ve ever met is a fuckboy.”

Remember that thread on RVF asking if women knew about the incel movement among men?

Pretty sure the answer is no.

Women have no concept, or empathy, as to what the average man goes through. Don't ever expect a woman to understand your circumstances.

Messages In This Thread