rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Worst thing you ever Googled?

Worst thing you ever Googled?

The OP's question reminds me of an early Internet story...

In 1995 I was living on a houseboat in Sausalito, CA. I had a party and was showing a bunch of friends this "new World Wide Web thing" on the Netscape browser running on my screaming new PC running Windows 95, fed by a local San Francisco dial-up ISP called Sirius Connections.

After showing everybody some mundane shit like the embryonic SF Chronicle site and my own Dodge Viper site, and demonstrating how hyperlinks worked, I recall my friend asking me, "what's the most disgusting, outrageous thing you've ever found on this?"

"Well, I found this web site called 'Dan's Tasteless Treasures.com...'" and I proceeded to bring up the site to show to my guests (I remember we had to wait for each interlaced picture to slowly load -- 9600 baud).

This site, even by today's standards, was pretty outrageous -- just a collection of shocking, gruesome, death and mutilation photos. It was bestgore.com stuff way before any other sites like that existed. Google has no record of it far as I can tell, as it pre-dated Google by a few years.

The only photo I remember showing them, which got a good/revulsed/awesome! reaction, was a firebombed-out Iraqi military vehicle, with a scorched, blackened corpse still in the driver's seat, with a half-melted can of Pepsi still on the dashboard. I remember "Dan" captioned the photo with some witty observation involving the Pepsi can, but I don't remember the specifics.

I guess that's the worst thing I ever "Googled," even though it wasn't Google. And even though it's nothing compared to the worst thing you can Google today, at the time, it was probably up there as far as the worst thing you could search for on the then-new World Wide Web.

Messages In This Thread