Roosh V Forum
If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Game (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong (/thread-49890.html)

Pages: 1 2

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - ksbms - 08-18-2015

Much has been said and written about visual cues in attraction but much less about olfactory cues. In fact, olfactory information might be a key component to attraction.

Do you remember the last time a girl complimented you or your expensive aftershave, cologne, fragrant or perfume? Do you remember how proud you felt you chose your scent perfectly to make her swoon for you? If you think you did it right, you're wrong.

Here's why.

The girl in question, in fact, was honest by saying you (or rather, the product) smelled nice. The same way persuasive commercials made you believe it would make you more attractive in girs eyes... But it doesn't mean she meant to say you smelled sexually attractive. What is sexually attractive when we talk about scents, is contained in your natural bodily odour. If you look good and are dominant, an ovulating female will (subconsciously) pick up on your olfactory information. But how are you going to do it if it's wrapped-up in non-bodily scents? Let me tell you - she won't. Now, let me back up my words with a couple of excerpt from research studies:

"We found a positive correlation between male psychological dominance assessed by the questionnaire and odour sexiness when rated by women in their fertile phase". Source: Jan Havlicek, S. Craig Roberts, and Jaroslav Flegr. Women's preference for dominant male odour: effects of menstrual cycle and relationship status. Biol Lett. 2005 Sep 22; 1(3): 256–259.

"Women’s preferences shift during the menstrual cycle. The first such shift to be demonstrated involves the olfactory preference that women have for the scent of symmetrical men. This preference is specific to normally ovulating women during the high-fertility phase of their menstrual cycle". Source: Randy Thornhill, Steven Gangestad. Facial attractiveness. Trends in Cognitive Science. Volume 3, Issue 12, 1 December 1999, Pages 452–460.

Those two articles should get you started. There is much more to it and it is much more complex. Depending on luteal of follicular phase of a female cycle, the preferences will shift between males with different sex-hormone markers. If you've got those good traits females find attractive, let her know in a multisensory fashion. Hit not only her eyes but her nose as well. Don't take my word for it. Read it. If not those articles, there is plenty on the internet. You can even start with Wikipedia's bodily odour and sexiness, if you like.

I hope I have persuaded you to ditch all of your aftershaves, colognes, fragrants or perfumes, whatever the compliments you've heard when using them. If not, it's at your own loss. But there is one caveat. It seems, it would make sense to expose females' olfactory bulbs to your natural odours only if you are somewhat dominant and attractive with good facial and bodily bilateral symmetry. Other than that, it may me prudent to keep those man-made scent products and use them as you have until you read my post.

My next post will be on auditory information conveying sexiness of its bearer. And let me tell you, there's more to it than you've ever thought about it.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Rompetoto - 08-18-2015

Great post, I've always thought that bitches could smell your genetic material and the parasite load you have. I've also read somewhere they can pick up on your test to coristol ratio and test to estro ratio just by looking at your face.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - zombiejimmorrison - 08-18-2015

I always get reminded of this little experiment on the show brainiac when pheromones are mentioned. Three guys, one with fake pheromones, another with cologne and the last one with sweat. It's not scientific by any means but it does show that the lady didn't mind the good looking mans body odor.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Huey - 08-18-2015

Research also shows that wearing red makes a man more sexually desirable to women. Should I ditch all of my non-red clothes as well?

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Enigma - 08-18-2015

Cologne doesn't mask your body's pheromones and nothing you posted/linked to claims that.

The nose doesn't consciously smell hormones in the same way you smell Acqua di Gio, and they don't just disappear because you spritz some cologne over them.

It'd be like spraying perfume on a bag of coke to throw off drug dogs. It doesn't work like that.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - ksbms - 08-18-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 12:47 PM)Enigma Wrote:  

Cologne doesn't mask your body's pheromones and nothing you posted/linked to claims that.

The nose doesn't consciously smell hormones in the same way you smell Acqua di Gio, and they don't just disappear because you spritz some cologne over them.

It'd be like spraying perfume on a bag of coke to throw off drug dogs. It doesn't work like that.

Interesting question. I don't really know about empirical research whether these two interfere or not. Do you have some sources saying that artificial scents don't mask natural? Even though, it still doesn't invalidate the claim that artificial scents do not enhance attraction. By the way, I don't think that there is any research saying hormones can be smelled, consciously or not. I think you ment pheromones?

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Remington - 08-18-2015

Honestly, I'd rather smell good and have a girl compliment me on it than smell like a bag of ass.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - GlobalMan - 08-18-2015

That has been my understanding as well. Some guys are saying basically you should have B.O. so girls can "smell your pheromones". I don't think it works like that. You may get looks because you smell like garbage, but its not due to "attraction"

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Kamikaze - 08-18-2015

I got a deodorant that somehow mixes really well with me. I've had multiple girls stick their noses in my armpit and say 'holy shit, you smell so good.' I only use that one. I've also had girls say the same thing full clothed, and I don't use cologne. They just get a slight waft of the deodorant. I think the key is just finding something that mixes well with you.

I'm not saying it has gotten me pussy, but there's something weirdly satisfying about a bitch burying her nozzle in my hairy pits after a bang.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Comte De St. Germain - 08-18-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 02:27 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

That has been my understanding as well. Some guys are saying basically you should have B.O. so girls can "smell your pheromones". I don't think it works like that.

Agreed, but I some times don't wear a scent for a change of pace. Some girls compliment me on the "unique smell" and others don't notice at all. It's just a matter of preference I think.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - GlobalMan - 08-18-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 02:30 PM)hwuzhere Wrote:  

Quote: (08-18-2015 02:27 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

That has been my understanding as well. Some guys are saying basically you should have B.O. so girls can "smell your pheromones". I don't think it works like that.

Agreed, but I some times don't wear a scent for a change of pace. Some girls compliment me on the "unique smell" and others don't notice at all. It's just a matter of preference I think.

I've had similar experience. In fact I've been out of any scent for a while now, and didn't regularly wear it before, and it doesn't seem to affect a woman's perception of me either way.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - MrXY - 08-18-2015

Welp, just threw away my $2000+ cologne collection because of this thread.

Thanks a lot, OP

[Image: fuckthat.gif]

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Dalaran1991 - 08-18-2015

I dont know.

I ve got a lot of compliments on my scents, I always wear them while on dates and I think I do ok. Girls often tell me post bang (never before the bang though) that I smell nice. All my LTRs love rubbing their nose against my neck and smell the colognes. In fact they are not happy when Im not wearing scent.

Scientifically its true that cologne doesnt mask your scent. The high quality ones actually enhance it, but thats why its important to choose the correct cologne for yourself. I always bring a girl to pick cologne with me. They smell differently on my skin than by itself.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Enigma - 08-19-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 02:13 PM)ksbms Wrote:  

Interesting question. I don't really know about empirical research whether these two interfere or not. Do you have some sources saying that artificial scents don't mask natural?

Well, the burden of proof isn't really on me.

Your hypothesis is that spraying an alcohol-based fragrance on your wrists and/or neck is going to override the pheromones being pumped out by your armpits, balls, ass, and feet.

There's nothing to suggest that is the case. That's a conclusion you made yourself.

We know that cologne does nothing but make actual strong B.O. worse, so how would it mask pheromones, which are chemicals?

Even on the application point, cologne is known to change its scent depending on the person wearing it because it reacts to your skin and body chemistry.

If you look at the synthetic pheromone community, any of the reputable brands sell their products already scented because it HELPS carry and diffuse the chemical pheromones. And it's not uncommon to layer many different scents on top of each other.

It does not mask them at all. Even after the fragrance has subsided, the chemicals are still there on your skin.

You get this same effect with abrasive chemicals. It's not the actual scent of bleach that burns your nostrils, it's the chemicals that scent is carrying.

Quote:Quote:

Even though, it still doesn't invalidate the claim that artificial scents do not enhance attraction.

Do they make women rip off your clothes like an Axe commercial? No, but neither does natural body odor. Neither does good looks, a great physique, or tons of money.

But there's a reason cologne is one of the most popular gifts for women to give to men, and that they spend hundreds on lotions, candles, etc.

Even men perceive a man with a subtle, masculine cologne better (in situations that call for it), which is why colognes like Creed are marketed as "the scent of Cary Grant". We connect a good cologne with sophistication, charm, and style.

For the record, I usually only wear a small amount of cologne and don't wash most of my body with soap to retain the natural chemicals in my skin.

But saying that guys should throw out all their products just because every girl who says "you smell nice" doesn't immediately blow you seems like quite a stretch.

Quote:Quote:

By the way, I don't think that there is any research saying hormones can be smelled, consciously or not. I think you ment pheromones?

Well, first of all, the word pheromone means "to bear hormones". They are pretty much the same thing, one is just outside of the body and the other inside.

Also, you're the one who used the word "sex-hormone markers" rather than pheromones in an article about body odor. I assumed we were on the same page.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - kaotic - 08-19-2015

Honestly, I used to use Acquo Di Gio years ago I'm thinking over 6-7 years ago.

I used a certain body wash, no deodarant except for the gym or a long night out.

After sex the body wash smell comes out with my sweat and I always get complimented on it.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Clint Barton - 08-19-2015

A pretty girl I fucked in the ass said I smelled nice. I just use dove body soap bar for men and baking soda on my armpits.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - OregonToSoCal - 08-19-2015

So when I'm making out with a new girl, she's breathing heavy and gives me that glassy-eyed fuck me look and breathless says "you smell goooood...." I'm doing it wrong?

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Ingocnito - 08-19-2015

I'm pro-cologne, and get plenty of compliments. The fact a girl notices and says anything is good sign IMHO. Over applying the stronger scents however, can come off as a try-hard attempt to get attention. At worst, a compliment can be akin to "I can tell you're a wine connoisseur who has good tastes."

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - MrXY - 08-19-2015

Quote: (08-19-2015 03:11 PM)Clint Barton Wrote:  

A pretty girl I fucked in the ass said I smelled nice. I just use dove body soap bar for men and baking soda on my armpits.

That you sodomized her is of course a complete non sequitur to both the subject of the thread and the point you were making , but I admire how you slipped it in anyway.

[Image: giphy.gif]

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Clint Barton - 08-19-2015

Yeah I slipped it in.

Quote: (08-19-2015 04:37 PM)MrXY Wrote:  

That you sodomized her is of course a complete non sequitur to both the subject of the thread and the point you were making , but I admire how you slipped it in anyway.

Quote: (08-19-2015 05:06 PM)Clint Barton Wrote:  

Yeah I admired how I slipped it in too.

Quote: (08-19-2015 04:37 PM)MrXY Wrote:  

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - etuvus_spaxus - 08-19-2015

I think the key word here is "NICE." If said person'd used words GOOD and TIGHT it' would have been sexier. Some people suck with descriptive words anyway.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - SnowHugger - 08-19-2015

God damn it.

Right after I bought this too.

[Image: $_57.JPG]

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Ziltoid - 08-19-2015

Pheromones are there to have a psychoactive effect on people around you by bumping into their nervous system via their olfactory receptors, they're not there to make you "smell good" to the opposite sex. (fun fact, pheromones have purposes beyond just sexual attraction, there are purported to be fear pheromones, anger pheromones, sickness pheromones, etc...) The few that do have a consciously detectable odor smell somewhere between cat piss and rank BO.

Other scents will not cover them up, if anything a good cologne is going to make it more likely that a girl gets close to you to catch a few whiffs. Ditching cologne because you're worried it's going to tamper with your mojo is not only ill founded, in my opinion it's throwing away a great low-effort low-cost opportunity to make yourself more attractive. I have pretty mediocre game, but women regularly do the "wow you smell nice!" thing with me. Who doesn't want to have women open them semi-regularly? That's not worth $30, $40 a bottle to you? Hey, it's your cash I guess.

The neurology and psychology of smell is pretty interesting, it's a sense that has deep ties to memory and emotion. If you smell good, people will subconsciously associate that with you in a very deep way. Ever smelled something that reminded you of a certain time/place in your life, and memories came flooding back with surprising intensity and clarity?

I will agree that anti-antiperspirants (but maybe not deodorants) should be ditched, since shutting down your sweat glands could theoretically mean shutting down your pheromone output from your armpits.

If a girl said you smelled nice, you're doing it wrong - Ingocnito - 08-19-2015

Quote: (08-19-2015 07:16 PM)SnowHugger Wrote:  

God damn it.

Right after I bought this too.

[Image: $_57.JPG]

Had girl in the tanning salon attached to the gym fall in love with that scent when I wore it in there.