Roosh V Forum
The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread (/thread-20051.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-12-2014

Quote: (04-11-2014 09:18 PM)TheBMan Wrote:  

Thanks Prop - your advice on this thread is great. I'm still not 100% sure I hyperextended the knee, but I think I may have because my foot came down awkwardly after the hamstring tear and my weight landed on the injured leg and my knee has felt like I tweaked it. My ankle didnt swell immediately - it swelled up about a week or two later - I guess all the junk just fell down into that area. Its been 5 weeks - the swelling in my leg is all gone. My leg was stiff but full range of motion is almost back - I can fully straighten it and almost get down into a full catchers squat. Today I wrapped it up in an ace bandage and went out and did some light 1/2 and 3/4 speed sprinting w/o any problems. The compression bandage helped a lot. I play a lot of sprinting/change of direction sports - football, basketball, and soccer - so I'm hoping I can ease my way back into full speed. Any other stretches or anything you can recommend? Thanks in advance.

More important than stretches right now, is definitely loading the hamstring. This can done by incorporating a few drills into your workout (I wouldn't return back to playing soccer/football until you can smash through these with no problems). Because you had a solid grade 2 tear I would also focus on pure hamstring strengthening (hamy curls - lying AND sitting) to ensure you don't return to sprinting with any strength imbalances.

Figure 8 running -

Interval - running backwards/forwards - and expand over 20metres (front) -

here is another variation which uses 4 cones/points

Side to side running - gig/gig (up the line) -be sure to stop and start again -

Warm up with High knee running

Quote: (04-12-2014 01:27 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

The hip pain, then when I try to walk through the hip pain, the back starts to hurt.

Great to hear those stretches reduce the back pain. Feel free to let me know if the hip pain continues to bother you.

Quote: (04-12-2014 02:02 AM)Switch Wrote:  

So both the radius and the ulna were fractured in the break, both all the way through. Immediately after the break, my hand looked like this:

But it was the right hand.

The surgeon said to not put pressure on it, and to avoid lifting anything heavier than a tissue box. He said I can write and type, etc. He said not to pinch. I'm just in a brace now, like the one below:

He said to move it up and down like doing wrist curls, but with no weight obviously, and to try to make fists and open palms (like you're about to slap somebody), both of which I cannot yet do. He also said to elevate it above the heart, to reduce swelling.

Ouch, looks like a quite a fracture there Switch!

Continue with the exercises the surgeon gave you, since it's only been two weeks you don't want to force or stretch the wrist too much now to allow optimal healing and alignment of the fracture site.

I would advise having a few sessions with a PT (following ortho review) to maximise range in the wrist. I'm happy to provide you with some stretches when things settle down a bit and the surgeon is happy with the healing.

Quote: (04-12-2014 03:25 PM)alphamous Wrote:  

Haven't talked to my doctor yet, my elbow wasn't overextended and I actually didn't feel any real pain when it happened. The only reason i noticed was because my coach called out my partner immediately telling him he'd likely just caused me a tennis elbow.

No tingling. No shoulder or neck pain.

Stretching the arm entirely hurts a bit, on the inside of the elbow.

Ha! can hardly do that stretch, but yeah, hurts the outside of my wrist. No pain in the elbow.

Did both the wrist AND elbow pain occur from this incident?

Just to clarify - where exactly is the wrist pain? Are you able to shade or describe it on the diagram below - will help me a lot

[Image: Body_chart.jpg]

PS _ think I'll include an easy-to-shade body chart on my site to make this all easier in the future.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - alphamous - 04-13-2014

Yea I think the pain in both wrist and elbow was caused at the moment, not sure though as I didn't feel any pain when it happened, it took a few days before I started to take notice.

I'll shade the picture as soon as a get to a computer, if it's any help it's the ulnar-bone side of the wrist that hurts.

Also, I notice me the elbow pain primarily when it's full closed. Extending the arm is pretty much pain free even with resistance but fully closing the elbow causes pain on the inside of the elbow (where the bicep attaches)

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - KC4 - 04-13-2014

Had my acl surgery a month ago right ,feels alot more stable. but when is the time to start with weights ? doc said 4 months but can you go really light earlier with weights or should you just wait until it feels stronger?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - alphamous - 04-14-2014

Quote: (04-12-2014 07:53 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Haven't talked to my doctor yet, my elbow wasn't overextended and I actually didn't feel any real pain when it happened. The only reason i noticed was because my coach called out my partner immediately telling him he'd likely just caused me a tennis elbow.

Ha! can hardly do that stretch, but yeah, hurts the outside of my wrist. No pain in the elbow.

Just to clarify - where exactly is the wrist pain? Are you able to shade or describe it on the diagram below - will help me a lot

PS _ think I'll include an easy-to-shade body chart on my site to make this all easier in the future.

Here's the shaded chart.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-14-2014

Quote: (04-14-2014 05:42 AM)alphamous Wrote:  

Quote: (04-12-2014 07:53 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Here's the shaded chart.

Thanks for that Alpha,

Given the distribution of your pain and what aggravates it, I'd say you may have some ulnar nerve irritation/entrapment from the drilling incident. The ulnar nerve runs around the inside of the elbow and along the ulnar side of the wrist - this would explain the pain at both the wrist and elbow (the two points where the ulnar nerve is most vulnerable)

[Image: ulnar-nerve-entrapment1.jpg]

What can you do about this? - Nothing revolutionary, but really the best thing is the avoid aggravating movements for BOTH the wrist and elbow (bending the elbow all the way - loading the wrist excessively) - for lifting focusing on keeping the wrist neutral - e.g. using a curved bar for lifting, and doing hammer curls instead of bicep curls.

For now I would recommend some gentle massage below the inside of the elbow and into the forearm muscles. (away from the areas that are too tender)

Once you are no longer experiencing elbow pain when you bend it back all the way - you can commence gentle nerve glides such as the one below to help reduce any residual tension around the elbow and wrist.

http://ergomomma.files.wordpress.com/201...retch1.jpg

Also you could try the exercise below (starting with the stretch at the 3min mark) - I wouldn't want you to attempt this one until you bend the wrist all the way and elbow without any pain. Letting things chill out for the next week is the best route.

Let me know how you go!

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-14-2014

Quote: (04-13-2014 09:45 AM)KC4 Wrote:  

Had my acl surgery a month ago right ,feels alot more stable. but when is the time to start with weights ? doc said 4 months but can you go really light earlier with weights or should you just wait until it feels stronger?

Hey KC,

It really depends on the type of surgery you had - e.g. was it an isolated ACL rupture, or were other structures such as MCL/meniscus also damaged. Was it a hamstring graft/artificial/patellar tendon? It really depends on the surgeons protocol - some are more conservative whereas others leave it more to the discretion of the PT.

Are you seeing a PT/physiotherapist for it?

Generally, by 1 month post-op you would want to have achieved the following:

Full Range of motion
normal gait (walking pattern)
minimal pain/swelling
Commence gentle closed chain and, early prioprioceptive exercises ( e.g. standing on 1 leg).

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - alphamous - 04-14-2014

Thanks axis,

How do you feel about heavy farmers walk? Are they safe to do?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-15-2014

Quote: (04-14-2014 10:39 AM)alphamous Wrote:  

Thanks axis,

Would steer well clear of them in the meantime, as the excessive weight will causing traction and further irritation to the nerves from the neck to the wrist.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - alphamous - 04-15-2014

Quote: (04-15-2014 06:16 AM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Thanks axis,

Would steer well clear of them in the meantime, as the excessive weight will causing traction and further irritation to the nerves from the neck to the wrist.

Thanks mate. Any thoughts on icing / heat cream?

Last time I rolled I felt next to no pain if I added heatcream to the elbow and forearm before class and didn't go apeshit with the sparring.

Final question! I've got competitions coming up in May, would you recommend laying off training completely until then or can I keep rolling if I want to be pain free as fast as possible?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-16-2014

Quote: (04-15-2014 06:30 AM)alphamous Wrote:  

Quote: (04-15-2014 06:16 AM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Thanks axis,

Thanks mate. Any thoughts on icing / heat cream?

Last time I rolled I felt next to no pain if I added heatcream to the elbow and forearm before class and didn't go apeshit with the sparring.

Final question! I've got competitions coming up in May, would you recommend laying off training completely until then or can I keep rolling if I want to be pain free as fast as possible?

Hey alpha,

If you find relief with heat cream - feel free to continue using it. Generally I wouldn't recommend ice for the type of pain you've got as it could sensitise the nerves around the elbow.

I would say you're good to go back to training 100% once you can perform the stretch http://www.spinescottsdale.com/rs/1641.jpg without any pain and are able to fully bend the elbow without any pain.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - KC4 - 04-16-2014

Hey , thanks for the reply. I had a hamstring graft. I also had my meniscus repaired. So far my leg has full mobility. Abd u am going to se a pt for the leg

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-17-2014

Whats the realistic time for a full recovery for a nice grade 2 hamstring strain like I had?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-18-2014

Quote: (04-17-2014 10:14 PM)TheBMan Wrote:  

Whats the realistic time for a full recovery for a nice grade 2 hamstring strain like I had?

A very strong prognostic indicator of hamstring recovery is how many days it is sore just simply walking or jogging - if you can walk painfree after 1 day following the injury it is a great sign (should return within the week). If not it will take longer than 3 weeks.

Also with jogging - if you are able to jog painfree 1-2 days following a hamy tear you will return to sport within 2 weeks. HOWEVER if it is still painful to jog >5 days after the injury it will take AT LEAST a month to return. I have a feeling the latter may be the case with you BMan.

What I like to focus on when returning back to sport/running is that you must have FULL strength and range of motion of the hamstring (straight leg raise - when compared with your good leg) below).

[Image: Straight-leg-test.gif]

You need strength/range of motion especially to be equal before you return back to running.

It is essential you strengthen the hamstring in a seated AND lying position - as these are the two positions which the hamstring is vulnerable in when running.

[Image: 69_1.jpg]

[Image: Hamstring-Curl.png]

Important to consider with hamstring recovery isn't 'time' but rather functional/physical milestones that are achieved prior to return.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-18-2014

Quote: (04-16-2014 04:25 PM)KC4 Wrote:  

Hey , thanks for the reply. I had a hamstring graft. I also had my meniscus repaired. So far my leg has full mobility. Abd u am going to se a pt for the leg

Excellent call seeing a PT.

Different surgeons have different protocols. As a general guideline - 6 months is what it takes to return to pre-injury level following ACL recon. This may be longer if you want to return to a sport involving regularly changing direction/cutting/pivoting and if you have concomitant injuries (e.g. meniscal tear).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-18-2014

Haha - I could barely walk 5 days after let alone jog. I think it was 3-4 weeks before I could remotely come close to jogging. I'm at 6 weeks tomorrow, I can jog ok and run at about 80% speed with it wrapped. I do crossfit and just started going back to the gym a week and a half ago but have been doing very light weights. I have a friend who works at a regular gym and he hooked me up with a free month so today I went in to focus on leg specific exercises and do some running/jumping in the pool and stretching in the hot tub and sauna. I could barely do 10 lbs on the laying hamstring curl machine w/my hurt leg so I didnt realize how weak my hamstring was and know what I need to do. My range of motion per the straigth leg raise diagram above is the same w/both legs but where its still not quite equal is when I extend the leg as though I was doing a leg extension - the injured leg still cant quite get as far extended as the other leg but its close (maybe 5 degrees less). Keep in mind its the absolute lowest part of my hamstring, behind the knee, not the middle of the leg that you think of when you think of a hamstring injury. I play basketball and the gym I was at today had a basketball court - I went out by myself to just shoot a little and see how it felt to move around and it was surprising how awkward all the movements felt. Between that and my 10 lb hamstring curls I realized I still have some work to do.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Thomas the Rhymer - 04-25-2014

Quote: (04-12-2014 07:35 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

The hip pain, then when I try to walk through the hip pain, the back starts to hurt.

Great to hear those stretches reduce the back pain. Feel free to let me know if the hip pain continues to bother you.

Thought I'd give you some feedback. The stretches helped but I decided to see a physiotherapist because the pain/spasm refused to fully resolve. After some poking and prodding she identified a trigger point in my right piriformis muscle. She stuck 4 acupuncture needles into it - it felt like an electric shock when the needle punctured the point but then afterward there was immediate relief of pain. By the 4rth needle puncture the pain was finally gone and the underlying spasm felt relieved, for the first time in weeks. She finished off with some electrical stimulation of the right gluteal muscles. She gave me some extra stretches to do along with the ones you gave me and I'll be seeing her again next week.

I never thought I'd be grateful to someone for sticking needles into my butt, but I feel much better after the session, and my back pain has resolved as well, with my right hip almost back to normal I think my back is no longer compensating for my buggered up hip.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - KC4 - 04-25-2014

Do you have any workouts for my leg? feels like it became weaker

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-25-2014

Quote: (04-25-2014 08:20 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Quote: (04-12-2014 07:35 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Thought I'd give you some feedback. The stretches helped but I decided to see a physiotherapist because the pain/spasm refused to fully resolve. After some poking and prodding she identified a trigger point in my right piriformis muscle. She stuck 4 acupuncture needles into it - it felt like an electric shock when the needle punctured the point but then afterward there was immediate relief of pain. By the 4rth needle puncture the pain was finally gone and the underlying spasm felt relieved, for the first time in weeks. She finished off with some electrical stimulation of the right gluteal muscles. She gave me some extra stretches to do along with the ones you gave me and I'll be seeing her again next week.

I never thought I'd be grateful to someone for sticking needles into my butt, but I feel much better after the session, and my back pain has resolved as well, with my right hip almost back to normal I think my back is no longer compensating for my buggered up hip.

Excellent to hear Thomas.

I would recommend looking into some hip strengthening and glute activation exercises to ensure the piriformis doesn't become overloaded in the future, and cause ongoing spasm.

Let me know if you want any specific exercises for the area

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-25-2014

Quote: (04-25-2014 03:33 PM)KC4 Wrote:  

Do you have any workouts for my leg? feels like it became weaker

Hey KC4,

What exercises are you currently doing with your PT?

As you are only 6 weeks post-op it is completely normal to feel weaker on that leg. It can take months to achieve full strength (where both legs are the same) following ACL surgery. The main priorities is that swelling is reduced/minimal, you can fully straighten the knee and are walking normally.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - KC4 - 04-26-2014

Doing heel slides,heel props, leg lifts with some biking should I add anything?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-29-2014

Quote: (04-26-2014 03:34 AM)KC4 Wrote:  

Doing heel slides,heel props, leg lifts with some biking should I add anything?

Hey KC4,

By that stage, assuming you have full extension range of motion - you would want to commence early proprioceptive training - basically when ligaments are torn the receptors within the ligament that relay message to your brain (to tell you WHERE the joint is in space) becomes damaged. This creates instability.

To improve this - I would start standing on 1 leg (holding for 10secs X 10) and keeping your hips and knees in good alignment.

You also want to start hip and calf strengthening so you can hit the ground running (bad pun) when you begin jogging and progress lower limb strengthening.

This means plenty of calf raises and bridges.

[Image: 3d288-hamstrings-buttocks-bridge.gif]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Nascimento - 04-30-2014

Hey prophylaxis,

How did your app turn out? I'd love to check it out if it's ready.