Roosh V Forum
The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread (/thread-20051.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-06-2014

Quote: (04-06-2014 11:10 AM)nomansland Wrote:  

Quote: (04-06-2014 04:57 AM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Just a few more tests to give me a better understanding:

The only one that causes pain is the one where I pretend to empty a can. Not when the arm is straight in front of me, but if the arm is sort of angled down anywhere from 20-40 degrees from horizontal, and there is resistance then I can feel pain. My med school friend did various stretches and exercises like this where he gave resistance when he was trying to diagnose it, and this was the only time I felt something.

FYI, The emptying the can thing is also when I can feel the pop that I mentioned in the previous post. Specifically, if I pretend to hold the can straight and then turn it to empty it.

Although quite a non-specific test, The empty can indicate a degree of impingement within the shoulder. Do you notice the pain or popping is reduced when you slightly squeeze your shoulder blades 'back' and re-perform the test?

Quote: (04-06-2014 08:54 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I'm struggling a lot lately with left lower back pain and right hip pain with spasm. It seems to be triggered off by driving and is relieved by standing or lying flat on the floor. Carrying a bag on my right shoulder makes it worse, while carrying a bag on my left shoulder improves it.

When the spasm is at its worst, I struggle to properly walk - my muscles are so stiff that I struggle to initiate flexion. Once flexion is underway, then I'm okay, but I have to do this weird drop-foot gait whenever the spasm is bad - I have to swing the right leg forward. Generally though, the spasm is not that bad but it these days it often affects my running - if I try to run, it's either extremely painful/stiff or if the stiffness is not too bad, I feel sometimes like I'm going to tip over to the right (the side of affected hip).

I suspect that I'm mainly having spasm of the right piriformis, and that the left iliopsoas has to then compensate for it and then also goes into a spasm.

Applying a hot water bottle on my right glutes or over my right hip flank relieves the pain/spasm. Anti-inflammatories help the pain but not the spasm, so I generally have to take a mild muscle relaxant with it. The problem is that these solutions only fix the problem temporarily and then the spasm recurs.

I've been having this problem for a few years but it used to just be a few days every month, but now for the past 2 months I have more painful days than pain-free days.

I was thinking of going for xrays and a sonar to properly identify the inflamed areas but before I do that I thought I'd get your opinion on the matter.

Hey Thomas,

Sorry to hear man. If I'm not mistaken, you're in the medical profession - great that you can easily get your hands on some meds to help with the pain.

Certainly sounds like you are compensating with trunk lateral flexion in your gait, very common with poor hip muscle functioning.

Where specifically is the right hip pain? (lateral/anterior/superior/medial hip joint?)

Did the back pain occur first? - If so any mechanism or injury or just insidious onset?

Which of these movements brings on either hip or back pain? (which one?)

[Image: movements.jpg]

There is no tingling or leg pain radiating down either leg?

Have you tried any stretches that relieved the back pain? - e.g. repeated extensions?

Quote: (04-06-2014 04:37 PM)TheBMan Wrote:  

So I was running about 3 weeks ago and all the sudden it felt like I got shot in the leg and I went down. As I was running my foot came down and I think I hyperextended my knee in addition to straining the very upper part of my calf muscle (on the outer portion). I could barely walk for a couple and am just now walking normal again. Is there anything else I should be doing to help my recovery? Thanks in advance.

Hey Bman,

[Image: attachment.jpg17966]   

Where abouts is the pain on this manikin?

Do you have any knee pain or swelling?

Any clicking/locking or giving way of the knee?

Does it hurt to bend your knee back against a chair?

Does it hurt to go up on your tippy toes?

What has your running regime been leading up to this incident? Any sprints or just jogging?

Were you changing direction or accelerating? Any hills?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - nomansland - 04-06-2014

Quote: (04-06-2014 05:42 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Although quite a non-specific test, The empty can indicate a degree of impingement within the shoulder. Do you notice the pain or popping is reduced when you slightly squeeze your shoulder blades 'back' and re-perform the test?

Yes, the popping is reduced, actually goes away, when I squeeze my shoulder blades back.

Are there any exercises I should be doing, or do you have more questions?

Also, what about the wrist?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-07-2014

Quote: (04-06-2014 08:16 PM)nomansland Wrote:  

Quote: (04-06-2014 05:42 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Yes, the popping is reduced, actually goes away, when I squeeze my shoulder blades back.

Are there any exercises I should be doing, or do you have more questions?

Also, what about the wrist?

Awesome.

Sounds like the residual discomfort from the original incident could be secondary impingement (as the shoulder blade can close down the available space within the shoulder). It's possible you may have had a Gr1 AC joint sprain (where the collar-bone meets the shoulder blade) - given the fact that you landed on the point of your shoulder. As a result this may have put things a bit out of balance around the right shoulder blade muscles since.

Basically want you to get used to moving your arm with shoulder blade set back in a nice position. Move your arm slowly up and down while gently squeezing back the shoulder blade (key word is GENTLY - begin with only raising up to your belly button while standing. Perform 30 of these every few hours (has to be freq if you want to change the motor patterns around the shoulder)

Here's a basic vid on how to get into the position

I would focus as well on recruiting lower traps to help with posteriorly tilting the scap and freeing up space in the shoulder

Also focusing on strengthening the posterior cuff (I do these at the gym with pulleys). 15 X 3 of these will help.

[Image: TB-shld-Add-1-2__050504_141824.jpg]

Keep flexibility around the thoracic and shoulder is also crucial

[Image: Thoracic-Extension-Drill.jpg]

[Image: shoulder-stretching-cross-body-post-capsule.jpg]

Hit me up in a week and let me know how you go

I'll get to the wrist shortly!

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-07-2014

-The pain has all been below the knee although there was significant bruising in the hamstring area as well

Do you have any knee pain or swelling?

-A little bit but that seems to be almost gone.

Any clicking/locking or giving way of the knee?

-No clicking or locking

Does it hurt to bend your knee back against a chair?

-No, although its been a few weeks. In the week after the injury if I were to lie flat on my stomach I was unable to do a hamstring curl. After a few days I would lay on my stomach and use my other leg to kind of assist in being able to do the motion until I could do it w/o the help of the other leg. But it never felt like a hamstring injury.

- It was difficult but not very painful

What has your running regime been leading up to this incident? Any sprints or just jogging?

Some light jogging and basketball although no real sprinting. I was tossing the football w/some friends and didnt plant to be sprinting fully, so I wasnt warmed up properly, and I'm in my mid 30's.

Were you changing direction or accelerating? Any hills?

I was changing direction and accelerating as the injury occurred. Flat surface.

Based on my own amateur internet diagnosis I think it was a gastrocenimus calf injury but I'm curious as to your thoughts. One defining characteristic of the injury is that for the first week or two it was very difficult to 'control' my leg while walking. If I planted my uninjured leg (left) and swung my injured leg forward to walk I was unable to contract the uninjured leg and stop the swing motion in order to bring the foot down and plant. I had to let the injured leg kind of swing and settle. If doesnt make sense think of the motion you would go through if you were kicking a soccer ball then right before you struck the ball you tried to stop the motion - whatever muscle you use to stop your leg from kicking the ball was wasnt working. I also think that after the muscle pull I landed awkardly on the knee - possible because of the muscle pull - and may have sprained or hyperextended a knee ligament, but dont think its anything more serious then that and it continues to improve every day. As I said earlier its been almost 4 weeks my range of motion has gotten better, and I can jog lightly. I have been traveling but will try running and getting back to full speed soon. Thanks again for your time and opinion.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Thomas the Rhymer - 04-07-2014

Quote: (04-06-2014 05:50 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Quote: (04-06-2014 08:54 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I'm struggling a lot lately with left lower back pain and right hip pain with spasm. It seems to be triggered off by driving and is relieved by standing or lying flat on the floor. Carrying a bag on my right shoulder makes it worse, while carrying a bag on my left shoulder improves it.

When the spasm is at its worst, I struggle to properly walk - my muscles are so stiff that I struggle to initiate flexion. Once flexion is underway, then I'm okay, but I have to do this weird drop-foot gait whenever the spasm is bad - I have to swing the right leg forward. Generally though, the spasm is not that bad but it these days it often affects my running - if I try to run, it's either extremely painful/stiff or if the stiffness is not too bad, I feel sometimes like I'm going to tip over to the right (the side of affected hip).

I suspect that I'm mainly having spasm of the right piriformis, and that the left iliopsoas has to then compensate for it and then also goes into a spasm.

Applying a hot water bottle on my right glutes or over my right hip flank relieves the pain/spasm. Anti-inflammatories help the pain but not the spasm, so I generally have to take a mild muscle relaxant with it. The problem is that these solutions only fix the problem temporarily and then the spasm recurs.

I've been having this problem for a few years but it used to just be a few days every month, but now for the past 2 months I have more painful days than pain-free days.

I was thinking of going for xrays and a sonar to properly identify the inflamed areas but before I do that I thought I'd get your opinion on the matter.

Hey Thomas,

Sorry to hear man. If I'm not mistaken, you're in the medical profession - great that you can easily get your hands on some meds to help with the pain.

Certainly sounds like you are compensating with trunk lateral flexion in your gait, very common with poor hip muscle functioning.

Where specifically is the right hip pain? (lateral/anterior/superior/medial hip joint?)

Did the back pain occur first? - If so any mechanism or injury or just insidious onset?

Which of these movements brings on either hip or back pain? (which one?)

[Image: movements.jpg]

There is no tingling or leg pain radiating down either leg?

Have you tried any stretches that relieved the back pain? - e.g. repeated extensions?

It feels like it's posterior, radiating into deep gluteal area (piriformis?). But sometimes I get pain radiating down the iliotibial tract.

I do not suspect any nerve impingement coming from the lower back.

The back pain did not occur first.

Rotation makes the pain worse, to the point where, sometimes, trying to rotate feels makes it feel like lightning bolt has just struck my right glutes. The one time the pain was manageable but then I tried to turn for something and for the rest of the day I was limping because of the pain.

The following stretch relieves the hip pain when I am in the stretch... But the moment I release the stretch, the pain is worse than before.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAdY77NugDXXJhUwufeCf...AHvb49bwpE]

The following stretch really soothes the lower back but it seems to worsen the right hip:
[Image: seated-forward-bend.jpg?w=460&h=305]

Since stretching only seems to make the pain worse, I've stopped doing stretching for now.

I'm not sure if this is useful, but I've noticed lately my right hip abduction is weaker than my left hip abduction. If I lie on my side and I abduct my legs, I can generally put a rep or two extra with my left leg. Since I'm right handed, I find this odd.

One important thing I forgot to mention is that the pain appears to be most commonly triggered off by driving and by prolonged sitting. I used to get it on both sides until I switched to driving an automatic car, now it's only the accelerator pedal leg that still gets pain.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-09-2014

Quote: (04-07-2014 03:35 AM)TheBMan Wrote:  

-The pain has all been below the knee although there was significant bruising in the hamstring area as well

In the week after the injury if I were to lie flat on my stomach I was unable to do a hamstring curl. After a few days I would lay on my stomach and use my other leg to kind of assist in being able to do the motion until I could do it w/o the help of the other leg. But it never felt like a hamstring injury.

- It was difficult but not very painful

Thanks for that Bman.

Are you able to take a photo of the front and back of your knee and your calf?

Does your injured calf look 'bigger' than your other calf?

Is there any swelling down the ankle?

My first impression with changing direction, acceleration and bruising would be a grade 2 hamstring tear - however since most of your pain is behind the knee, you may have plantaris or popliteus involvement as well.

If you lay on your stomach with your knee bent up and foot turned out and provide resistance with your other leg, does that bring on the pain behind the knee? (Below)
[Image: KneeFlexER.jpg]

Gastroc strain is also possible, but I'll be able to tell you more if you get the chance the send a pic of your leg =)

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-09-2014

Quote: (04-07-2014 06:51 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

It feels like it's posterior, radiating into deep gluteal area (piriformis?). But sometimes I get pain radiating down the iliotibial tract.

I do not suspect any nerve impingement coming from the lower back.

The back pain did not occur first.

Rotation makes the pain worse, to the point where, sometimes, trying to rotate feels makes it feel like lightning bolt has just struck my right glutes. The one time the pain was manageable but then I tried to turn for something and for the rest of the day I was limping because of the pain.

The following stretch relieves the hip pain when I am in the stretch... But the moment I release the stretch, the pain is worse than before.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAdY77NugDXXJhUwufeCf...AHvb49bwpE]

The following stretch really soothes the lower back but it seems to worsen the right hip:
[Image: seated-forward-bend.jpg?w=460&h=305]

Since stretching only seems to make the pain worse, I've stopped doing stretching for now.

I'm not sure if this is useful, but I've noticed lately my right hip abduction is weaker than my left hip abduction. If I lie on my side and I abduct my legs, I can generally put a rep or two extra with my left leg. Since I'm right handed, I find this odd.

One important thing I forgot to mention is that the pain appears to be most commonly triggered off by driving and by prolonged sitting. I used to get it on both sides until I switched to driving an automatic car, now it's only the accelerator pedal leg that still gets pain.

Hey Thomas,

Is it left or right rotation that brings on the either the right hip pain, or the left back pain? (?or both)

You mentioned that carrying a bag on your left shoulder reduces the left lower back pain.

Can I get you to perform left lateral flexion (opposite direction to the diagram below which right lateral flexion) - leaning on your right arm - gently push the hips toward the wall - back and forth. If you perform 20 reps of this and RETEST the painful rotation - is the pain reduced at all?

[Image: Standing_Lower-Trunk_Lateral_Flexor_Stretch.jpg]

Does sitting for prolonged periods bring on the hip pain or the left lower back pain?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - The Lizard of Oz - 04-09-2014

Thomas, this video has some excellent stretches and exercises for relieving piriformis and gluteus medius pain, check it out:

Two minor tweaks to this that I would suggest: use a lacrosse ball instead of a tennis ball if possible, and do the compression before the stretching.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-10-2014

Pics are below - these were taken shortly after the injury. Its getting better slowly but surely. There was swelling all the way down the ankle - my ankle was actually pretty swollen and somewhat bruised two weeks after the injury - I guess gravity took its course.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Veloce - 04-10-2014

Hey Prophylaxis, great work as always in this thread. I subscribed to your WiseBones newsletter.

A couple recent developments:

1) Right wrist. This has always given me some sort of issues. I broke it when I was young, I had bad wrist posture during years of classical guitar, using it to chop vegetables as a prep cook, typing on computer, jerking off, fingering girls... Anyway it's been particularly exacerbated from boxing and more recently from doing lots of pull ups. It's not pain necessarily, but it doesn't feel right, like a soreness that extends from my wrist to my elbow after a set of pull ups.

2) Some sort of hip/alignment issue. Not sure if this can be fixed. My chiro can't seem to fix it. When I do squats, my body naturally twists to the left a little bit. It's fine on light weight but when I get heavy again seems like this could present some issues. On the same token, when I tie my left shoe I have no problem bending over to do so, but bending over to my right shoe presents way more of a challenge as it's incredibly stiff on that side. Is that a hip stretching issue? Any ideas for a permanent fix?

Thanks a lot man.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-10-2014

Quote: (04-01-2014 08:01 PM)nomansland Wrote:  

Body Chart: Right wrist

Mechanism of injury: 3 months ago, I fell down on my wrist with my whole body falling on my wrist while it was fully flexed back (i.e knuckles touching forearms).

I went to the doctor right away, there is no fracture.

Aggravating factors: Any excessive weight, or excessive turning, twisting motion, like cranking up a dial that is the size of a doorknob. I initially had trouble moving it and having basic functionality, but I have since gotten back a full range of motion.

Easing factors: Time

After the wrist incident, I stopped sports and workouts completely. I had other people helping me at work, and had to become mildly ambidextrous as in I can now brush my teeth and use the mouse with my left hand. Now, I am able to brush my teeth, use a wrench, use a mouse, etc. with the right hand. I can also turn doorknobs, but other things that are like doorknobs but with more resistance, I will have some trouble with. A few times a day, I stretch the wrist forwards and backwards (i.e. fingers perpendicular to forearms). At both extremes, I can feel discomfort or pain. Moving it laterally (sideways) is much harder. Most of the pain or discomfort is in the bone on the side of the thumb.

Hey nomans,

Thanks for your patience man. Let's get onto the wrist now!

What did the doctors say was going on with the wrist?

Is the pain specifically around the whole wrist or isolated to the base of the thumb?

What do you do for a living? What specifically do you need your wrist to be strong again for?

Which of these movements bring on the pain?

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=38674&stc=1&d=1199591070]

Was this the position of your wrist when you fell?

[Image: adult_wrist_fx_causes_colles.jpg]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-10-2014

Quote: (04-10-2014 11:01 PM)TheBMan Wrote:  

Pics are below - these were taken shortly after the injury. Its getting better slowly but surely. There was swelling all the way down the ankle - my ankle was actually pretty swollen and somewhat bruised two weeks after the injury - I guess gravity took its course.

Thanks for the pics Bman.

Definitely looks like a solid Grade 2 Hamstring Strain.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is the swelling in your ankle. Also you mentioned that you hyperextended your knee during the incident as well and there was swelling in the knee also. I'd want to make sure there is no secondary ligament sprain in the knee that may have occurred at the time.

Does your knee feel unstable when you walk on it? or when you go down stairs?

Has it ever buckled, or given way underneath you?

Did you hear a 'pop' at the time of the incident?'

If you hold both your knees up - does it feel like the injured one sags a bit more compared the other knee? (see pic below)

[Image: 575-31_default.jpg]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-11-2014

Quote: (04-10-2014 11:35 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Hey Prophylaxis, great work as always in this thread. I subscribed to your WiseBones newsletter.

A couple recent developments:

1) Right wrist. This has always given me some sort of issues. I broke it when I was young, I had bad wrist posture during years of classical guitar, using it to chop vegetables as a prep cook, typing on computer, jerking off, fingering girls... Anyway it's been particularly exacerbated from boxing and more recently from doing lots of pull ups. It's not pain necessarily, but it doesn't feel right, like a soreness that extends from my wrist to my elbow after a set of pull ups.

2) Some sort of hip/alignment issue. Not sure if this can be fixed. My chiro can't seem to fix it. When I do squats, my body naturally twists to the left a little bit. It's fine on light weight but when I get heavy again seems like this could present some issues. On the same token, when I tie my left shoe I have no problem bending over to do so, but bending over to my right shoe presents way more of a challenge as it's incredibly stiff on that side. Is that a hip stretching issue? Any ideas for a permanent fix?

Thanks a lot man.

hey dude,

Thanks for the support - It will be great once WiseBones is up and running online and I'm sure it will be benefit you guys better as a result.

I'll work out what's happening at the forearm, then more than happy to help with the hip alignment issues.

I lol'd pretty hard at your aggravating activites of "jerking off and fingering girls" - can just imagine all the rehab exercises to help with those activities.

Specifically where exactly is the pain that radiates from your wrist to elbow. Is it along the pinky side(ulnar) of your wrist and radiate to the inside of your elbow? Or is along the thumb (radial) side?

Or is it just generally sore throughout the forearm?

Be great if you could shade where the pain is on a body chart like this.

[Image: Body_chart.jpg]

Is there any tingling/pins and needles or numbness in the fingers or down the forearm?

Do you have any neck or shoulder pain?

Is the pain that you get following pull-ups the same as the pain you get while typing?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Switch - 04-11-2014

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'll try. I broke my wrist a while ago. Right now I probably have only about 60 degrees of rotation in my wrist, 180 in the non broken one. Will I gain the mobility back with time? What can I do to make sure the mobility comes back? I'm worried because I lift, and even after the bones were healed I wouldn't be able to do much with such limited mobility.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - alphamous - 04-11-2014

Awesome thread initiative.

Pain: Inside and around the right elbow and on the outside of the wrist (suspect tennis/goflers elbow)
Mechanics: Drilling BJJ I was basing out with a straight right arm when my partner pulls my elbow hard.
Aggravating factors: putting my hands in "front squat position" aggrevates the wrist, curling/pulling with my arm aggrevates the inner elbow.
Alleviating factors: cross-fiber massage close to the elbow alleviates the elbow, haven't found anything to alleviate the wrist other than Ibuprofen

Any help on this would be great! Any advice not containing "rest for 4 weeks" would be even more appreciated!

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-11-2014

Regarding the ankle swelling - it wasn't swollen immediately after, it swelled later as everything sort of trickled down. Its fine now. Its been five weeks - I'm walking fine, jogging ok, and am going to try and running and sprinting this weekend. I think I will be back to full speed in a couple of weeks. The knee is stable - I've started lifting weights again and have been doing things like deadlifts, hang cleans, etc w/no problems. I was talking w/another physio yesterday and showed him the same pictures and his immediate conclusion was the same as yours - hamstring. That being said, if it was a hamstring it must have been the absolute lowest part of the hamstring, because when I think of hamstring pulls I think of guys pulling up and grabbing the middle of the back of their leg. While I had bruising up the back of my thigh I never had any kind of pain above the back of my knee. How far down does the hamstring actually go? I think you also may have been on to something when you said the plantaris may have been involved. I googled plantaris and after I was hurt there were times where if I took a wrong step I felt a shooting pain where the plantaris runs down the calf. Where the plantaris starts is really kind of 'ground zero' for where the injury felt like it occurred, and given that the plantaris runs down thru the calf it would explain why I had pain in the calf area. Is the plantaris something that can be hurt/strained w/one bad step?

Quote: (04-11-2014 03:34 AM)Switch Wrote:  

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'll try. I broke my wrist two weeks ago. They had to put in a metal plate and 10 screws to make sure it will heal with proper alignment. Right now I probably have only about 60 degrees of rotation in my right wrist (the one I broke), while I probably have 160-170 in my left. Will I gain the mobility back with time? What can I do to make sure the mobility comes back? I'm worried because I play golf and lift, and even after the bones were healed I wouldn't be able to do much with such limited mobility.

Hey Switch,

Post-op two weeks is still very acute, so there would be still be considerable bony healing occurring. The surgery in itself is a massive trauma to your wrist, so swelling, irritation and pain will all combine to reduce the range of motion. The ranges you mentioned are completely normal at this stage. Eventually this will settle, but there will always be mechanical stiffness compared to your other wrist.

This doesn't necessarily mean you can't lift again, but you may have to make modifications to your wrist positioning while lifting. E.g. hammer curls instead of bicep curls.

Just a few more question I'd like to know.

How was your wrist managed? Are you in a cast now? What instructions did the surgeon say? (e.g. not to put weight on it for 6 weeks?)

Did he give you any stretches or exercises to maintain wrist mobility?

What specifically did you fracture? Just the radius or were other bones/structures involved?

Quote: (04-11-2014 08:27 AM)alphamous Wrote:  

Pain: Inside and around the right elbow and on the outside of the wrist (suspect tennis/goflers elbow)
Mechanics: Drilling BJJ I was basing out with a straight right arm when my partner pulls my elbow hard.
Aggravating factors: putting my hands in "front squat position" aggrevates the wrist, curling/pulling with my arm aggrevates the inner elbow.
Alleviating factors: cross-fiber massage close to the elbow alleviates the elbow, haven't found anything to alleviate the wrist other than Ibuprofen

Any help on this would be great! Any advice not containing "rest for 4 weeks" would be even more appreciated!

Sup alpha

What did the doctor say was causing your problem?

Just so I can get a better idea of what structures could be involved - During the incident, was your elbow hyperextended/pushed backwards (below)? Exactly what happened to your elbow during the incident?

[Image: 031913_1059_Elbowhypere1.jpg]

Is there any tingling or numbness from your elbow into your wrist or fingers?

Any shoulder or neck pain?

Does it hurt to fully straighten the elbow?

Any discomfort with this stretch?

[Image: 1641.jpg]

Quote: (04-11-2014 09:17 AM)TheBMan Wrote:  

Regarding the ankle swelling - it wasn't swollen immediately after, it swelled later as everything sort of trickled down. Its fine now. Its been five weeks - I'm walking fine, jogging ok, and am going to try and running and sprinting this weekend. I think I will be back to full speed in a couple of weeks. The knee is stable - I've started lifting weights again and have been doing things like deadlifts, hang cleans, etc w/no problems. I was talking w/another physio yesterday and showed him the same pictures and his immediate conclusion was the same as yours - hamstring. That being said, if it was a hamstring it must have been the absolute lowest part of the hamstring, because when I think of hamstring pulls I think of guys pulling up and grabbing the middle of the back of their leg. While I had bruising up the back of my thigh I never had any kind of pain above the back of my knee. How far down does the hamstring actually go? I think you also may have been on to something when you said the plantaris may have been involved. I googled plantaris and after I was hurt there were times where if I took a wrong step I felt a shooting pain where the plantaris runs down the calf. Where the plantaris starts is really kind of 'ground zero' for where the injury felt like it occurred, and given that the plantaris runs down thru the calf it would explain why I had pain in the calf area. Is the plantaris something that can be hurt/strained w/one bad step?

Yep you definitely a hamstring sprain Bman (nice one by the way!)- I just haven't seen too many with considerable ankle swelling afterwards. Now I have seen plenty of PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) injuries that were caused by a knee hyperextension injury, and they presented with swelling down to their ankle.

I was just concerned about a PCL sprain since you said you hyperextended your knee. I would monitor your knee for any signs of instability, or if knee swelling continues when you get back into sprinting/running I would get it assessed by a doctor or PT in person.

In saying that - the plantaris muscle can also be injured in a hyperextended injury. So it would be possible for you to have strained the plantaris in conjunction with the hamstring tear. (And this would also explain the swelling down to the ankle!).

The hamstring does insert below the knee into the tibia and fibula, so this can explain some of the pain behind the knee.

What do you plan on getting back into? e.g. what type of running/sports? The most crucial aspect now of your rehab would be to introduce a graded running programme.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-11-2014

Thanks Prop - your advice on this thread is great. I'm still not 100% sure I hyperextended the knee, but I think I may have because my foot came down awkwardly after the hamstring tear and my weight landed on the injured leg and my knee has felt like I tweaked it. My ankle didnt swell immediately - it swelled up about a week or two later - I guess all the junk just fell down into that area. Its been 5 weeks - the swelling in my leg is all gone. My leg was stiff but full range of motion is almost back - I can fully straighten it and almost get down into a full catchers squat. Today I wrapped it up in an ace bandage and went out and did some light 1/2 and 3/4 speed sprinting w/o any problems. The compression bandage helped a lot. I play a lot of sprinting/change of direction sports - football, basketball, and soccer - so I'm hoping I can ease my way back into full speed. Any other stretches or anything you can recommend? Thanks in advance.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Thomas the Rhymer - 04-12-2014

Quote: (04-09-2014 10:04 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Hey Thomas,

Is it left or right rotation that brings on the either the right hip pain, or the left back pain? (?or both)

both

Quote:Quote:

Can I get you to perform left lateral flexion (opposite direction to the diagram below which right lateral flexion) - leaning on your right arm - gently push the hips toward the wall - back and forth. If you perform 20 reps of this and RETEST the painful rotation - is the pain reduced at all?

[Image: Standing_Lower-Trunk_Lateral_Flexor_Stretch.jpg]

The pain was greatly reduced, I'm going to do this move a few times a day now. I can feel it hitting whatever is the source of the problem. I woke up with a lot of pain this morning (must have slept funny) but after 20 reps of this the pain is much reduced. Thanks bro!

Quote:Quote:

Does sitting for prolonged periods bring on the hip pain or the left lower back pain?

The hip pain, then when I try to walk through the hip pain, the back starts to hurt.

I downloaded the youtube video you linked to and will try out the routine this weekend.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Switch - 04-12-2014

Quote: (04-11-2014 08:27 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Quote: (04-11-2014 03:34 AM)Switch Wrote:  

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'll try. I broke my wrist two weeks ago. They had to put in a metal plate and 10 screws to make sure it will heal with proper alignment. Right now I probably have only about 60 degrees of rotation in my right wrist (the one I broke), while I probably have 160-170 in my left. Will I gain the mobility back with time? What can I do to make sure the mobility comes back? I'm worried because I play golf and lift, and even after the bones were healed I wouldn't be able to do much with such limited mobility.

Hey Switch,

Post-op two weeks is still very acute, so there would be still be considerable bony healing occurring. The surgery in itself is a massive trauma to your wrist, so swelling, irritation and pain will all combine to reduce the range of motion. The ranges you mentioned are completely normal at this stage. Eventually this will settle, but there will always be mechanical stiffness compared to your other wrist.

This doesn't necessarily mean you can't lift again, but you may have to make modifications to your wrist positioning while lifting. E.g. hammer curls instead of bicep curls.

Just a few more question I'd like to know.

How was your wrist managed? Are you in a cast now? What instructions did the surgeon say? (e.g. not to put weight on it for 6 weeks?)

Did he give you any stretches or exercises to maintain wrist mobility?

What specifically did you fracture? Just the radius or were other bones/structures involved?

So both the radius and the ulna were fractured in the break, both all the way through. Immediately after the break, my hand looked like this:

[Image: 601102_8a750b4e-dff6-47b7-96ce-dcfbe8222...84x216.jpg]

But it was the right hand.

The surgeon said to not put pressure on it, and to avoid lifting anything heavier than a tissue box. He said I can write and type, etc. He said not to pinch. I'm just in a brace now, like the one below:

[Image: thermoskin-wrist-braces-hand-brace-left-...1537-2.jpg]

He said to move it up and down like doing wrist curls, but with no weight obviously, and to try to make fists and open palms (like you're about to slap somebody), both of which I cannot yet do. He also said to elevate it above the heart, to reduce swelling.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - alphamous - 04-12-2014

Quote: (04-11-2014 08:34 PM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Quote: (04-11-2014 08:27 AM)alphamous Wrote:  

Sup alpha

What did the doctor say was causing your problem?

Just so I can get a better idea of what structures could be involved - During the incident, was your elbow hyperextended/pushed backwards (below)? Exactly what happened to your elbow during the incident?

[Image: 031913_1059_Elbowhypere1.jpg]

Is there any tingling or numbness from your elbow into your wrist or fingers?

Any shoulder or neck pain?

Does it hurt to fully straighten the elbow?

Any discomfort with this stretch?

[Image: 1641.jpg]

Thanks for replying mate.

Haven't talked to my doctor yet, my elbow wasn't overextended and I actually didn't feel any real pain when it happened. The only reason i noticed was because my coach called out my partner immediately telling him he'd likely just caused me a tennis elbow.

No tingling. No shoulder or neck pain.

Stretching the arm entirely hurts a bit, on the inside of the elbow.

Ha! can hardly do that stretch, but yeah, hurts the outside of my wrist. No pain in the elbow.