Roosh V Forum
Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? (/thread-3939.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - jimukr104 - 06-08-2013

You realize all the so called Books you are reading about how tO survive the coming disaster is written by dudes who profit by you taking their advice? Fiat currencies are not going anywhere. Despite the inherent issues they are and have been less problems than how it was when backed. In the end of the world scenario gold will not be much more valuable than cat litter. Reason is govts will do anything to squash gold being used. This includes confiscation. Try trading a punch of gold for food or goods and they will laugh at you. I find it funny how all the gloom and doom folks here are spool young to even remember tough periods. Cash will be king when inflation comes. Interest rates will skyrocket. On the 80's CDs paid 19% much higher than inflatiOn. The fact that very vew people have cash due to low savings means those that do will be able to buy Anything they want. The stock market tanks and if you got the dough you can buy stocks cheaP. That being said yOu guys should become bogleheads. Index mutual funds are the way to go. Only put cash into them that you know you will not need for a long time. Be Prepared for bear markets but overall you will dO ok. My funds doubled in 10 years. That's including the 2 crashes. I got out now only because I suspect rates to rise by 2016 and want cash liquid at hand. Funds arenot sexy but they are pretty safe in the long term. I mostly was in total stockmarket. Over3k companies in my fund. Now that's diversified lol.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - shanefalco - 06-08-2013

Quote: (06-08-2013 08:55 AM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

You realize all the so called Books you are reading about how tO survive the coming disaster is written by dudes who profit by you taking their advice? Fiat currencies are not going anywhere. Despite the inherent issues they are and have been less problems than how it was when backed. In the end of the world scenario gold will not be much more valuable than cat litter. Reason is govts will do anything to squash gold being used. This includes confiscation. Try trading a punch of gold for food or goods and they will laugh at you. I find it funny how all the gloom and doom folks here are spool young to even remember tough periods. Cash will be king when inflation comes. Interest rates will skyrocket. On the 80's CDs paid 19% much higher than inflatiOn. The fact that very vew people have cash due to low savings means those that do will be able to buy Anything they want. The stock market tanks and if you got the dough you can buy stocks cheaP. That being said yOu guys should become bogleheads. Index mutual funds are the way to go. Only put cash into them that you know you will not need for a long time. Be Prepared for bear markets but overall you will dO ok. My funds doubled in 10 years. That's including the 2 crashes. I got out now only because I suspect rates to rise by 2016 and want cash liquid at hand. Funds arenot sexy but they are pretty safe in the long term. I mostly was in total stockmarket. Over3k companies in my fund. Now that's diversified lol.

Books? What books are you referring to?

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - iknowexactly - 06-08-2013

Here's a chart, GLD VS. McDonalds last two years, just about the life of this thread.

The blue (top line) with a gain of about 30% is MCD.
The green ( lower) line is GLD.

The McDonalds stock prices line does not include the roughly 3% dividends annually which MCD pays.

MCD is also a Dividend Aristocrat, who have increased dividend amount paid per share for 25 years straight every year
( whether shares go up or down.)

In 2007, the equivalent quarterly dividend for MCD was $0.25.
By 2011, when this thread was born, MCD was paying $0.61 dividend per share per quarter. Now it's $0.77.

DRIP is an acronym for Dividend Reinvestment Plan.

Read up on Dividend Aristocrats if you want to understand the boring, reliable way to get rich. There's a reason most rich people are boring, boring, plodding, conservative landlord types. Branson is totally atypical.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - shanefalco - 06-08-2013

Quote: (06-08-2013 10:24 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Here's a chart, GLD VS. McDonalds last two years, just about the life of this thread.

The McDonalds stock prices line does not include the roughly 3% dividends annually which MCD pays.

MCD is also a Dividend Aristocrat, who have increased dividend amount paid per share for 25 years straight every year

By 2011, when this thread was born, MCD was paying $0.61 dividend per share per quarter. Now it's $0.77.

Read up on Dividend Aristocrats if you want to understand the boring, reliable way to get rich. There's a reason most rich people are boring, boring, plodding, conservative landlord types. Branson is totally atypical.

I am aware of DRIP plans, and I do own some dividend stocks. I was just responding to G's question from a few months ago about what my thoughts were on the PM market. I previously shared my thoughts over 2 years ago on the first page of the thread. I haven't been involved in PM's since that time, and might possibly get back into the gold market. I don't have a problem with owning good quality stocks or index funds, but I also don't have a problem with buying gold/silver when I think they are cheap and ready to rise again.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - gsinplaya - 06-09-2013

gld looks like a short to me. The macro trend is broken.
I'd rather buy things that are going up not down

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - shanefalco - 06-09-2013

Quote: (06-09-2013 09:15 AM)gsinplaya Wrote:  

The trend for GLD doesn't concern me too much. I look at the actual demand and prices for physical PM's as opposed to paper PM's to determine an investment in the market.

One of the key things I like to look at, is the current demand for 1/10th ounces of gold bullion. The demand for that denomination was so great that the mint suspended production back in April. Also, the US Mint is looking at record sales this year due to the demand for physical PM's.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-05...-year.html

yeah fair enough...stick to the strategy that works for you.

I personally just follow the charts and price action which tell me to stay away.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Samseau - 06-09-2013

By that logic you'd buy at the top and sell at the bottom.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Samseau - 06-09-2013

Quote: (06-08-2013 10:24 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Not sure how your graph works.

In 2012 MCD was down over 10%. If it weren't for the dividends this stock wouldn't be a better performer than GLD.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - anamericaninbangkok - 06-09-2013

Owned 5 baht of gold here - sold it a while back. Bought it at like 16K baht per baht (80K) and sold it at around 24K for a tidy profit of 40K. If the price goes down another 15-20% I'll buy more and hopefully do it all over again.

Quote: (06-09-2013 09:22 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

I don't bottom fish or call tops. Great way to go broke

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - RougeNoir - 06-09-2013

I own silver dollars. 3 of them.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Jaydublin - 06-11-2013

Quote: (06-08-2013 08:55 AM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

Many household necessities have gone up 50% in a decade. Your bashing metals then acting as if your 10 year double has out performed them... you may want to check the gold and silver chart for the last decade.

You also mention how great CDs paid in 1980. Isn't it nice to be able to cherry pick dates? how well did gold pay in 1979? See what I did there?

Just because somebody invests in metals doesn't mean they are a Peter Schiff doomsdayer. George Soros recently bought back into gold and he certainly isn't a doomsday nutjob.

There is no doubt in my mind that the world did not quit thousands of years on a gold standard cold turkey. There will be rocking for a couple centuries before we can completely come off. It's like a smoker who smokes for 20 years then quits for a day and believes he is past it, he will usually light up again when the stress arrives. When the stress arrives there will be some form of commodity backed currencies introduced by major governments.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Leo - 06-21-2013

Quote:Quote:

Try trading a punch of gold for food or goods and they will laugh at you.

Mostly true, although there'll be someone who'll be seduced by the yellow metal.

When SHTF and it's a Mad Max Thunderdome scenario, I'd want to be stocked up in commodities and essentials: food, water, guns, bullets, a reliable vehicle, plenty of gas, batteries, a defendable shelter..

Quote:Quote:

Cash will be king when inflation comes.

Umm, no. When inflation comes your cash will need to look like this to buy anything:

[Image: Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obverse%281%29.jpg]

and you'll needs stacks like these to make a grocery store run:

[Image: zimbabwe-bankrupt.jpg]

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Marco 93 - 06-21-2013

I sold all of my stock holdings, and purchased silver and gold bullion. this is a great time to buy silver. I plan to buy a lot more silver for the rest of 2013.

[Image: china-gold5.jpg]
Gold Buying Panic In China: 10,000 People Wait In Line For Their Chance to Own Precious Metals

[Image: china-gold6.jpg]

The following pictures, taken in Jinan in the last 48 hours, depict some 10,000 Chinese citizens lining  up to buy physical gold, providing all the evidence you need for the argument that gold is, in fact, money.

read more
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/go...s_06142013

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - gsinplaya - 06-21-2013

Quote: (06-21-2013 04:12 PM)Marco 93 Wrote:  

I sold all of my stock holdings, and purchased silver and gold bullion. this is a great time to buy silver. I plan to buy a lot more silver for the rest of 2013.

[Image: china-gold5.jpg]
Gold Buying Panic In China: 10,000 People Wait In Line For Their Chance to Own Precious Metals

[Image: china-gold6.jpg]

The following pictures, taken in Jinan in the last 48 hours, depict some 10,000 Chinese citizens lining  up to buy physical gold, providing all the evidence you need for the argument that gold is, in fact, money.

read more
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/go...s_06142013

This has been going on in China for a long time and still the price of Gold sinks. The macro trend is broken. What these people fail to understand is that gold is not the safe haven it used to be.

Equities will continue to rise over the next decade whilst gold and silver underperform.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Seadog - 06-21-2013

In 1980 people we're lined up around the block to buy gold too. Your argument that gold is money because people are lined up to buy it is a straw man argument. Were tulip bulbs money in 16th century Holland? In a sense anything of value can be currency. In olden days flour was used as currency. And why not? Very dividable, everyone needs it and can use it, and can use it fairly readily to avoid spoilage. Gold is an asset just like any other.

Why do so many people want gold in China, and why so desperately? Greed and the idea they'll make money is the only conclusion I can come to, and then you form a classic bubble. If people are convinced something will be 25% more valuable in a year, then it makes sense to pay 10% over asking today. When everyone does that, you have a user generated Ponzi scheme.

Gold has outperformed McDonalds except for the dividends? But there are dividends. Except for ability in the pool, I'm a swimmer on par with Micheal Phelps. Ignoring a major factor which contradicts you doesn't make you right, and this is after one of the best run ups for gold ever. 10 years is still semi-short term. Housing from 1996-2006 in the US was one of the best investments you could find. Hows it doing again?

A little bit of gold is never a bad idea, but the markets aren't what I would call predictable, and unless something huge happens, I can't understand why gold would appreciate more than inflation long term. The other thing, is that if society breaks down, what makes you think trade and other laws will still be in place? The people who say its better to own land, well land and property is really nothing more than a gentleman's agreement, I don't take your stuff, and you don't take mine, and neither of us will have battle wounds from fighting. What makes you think that will still be honoured? How long after Katrina did you have roving gangs where the strong just took from the weak? The picture I think some people see here, is a society exactly the same as today, with rule of law, court systems, recourse if someone seriously fucks you over, but just fiat currency is no longer trusted. This IMO is silly.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Marco 93 - 06-21-2013

Quote: (06-21-2013 07:39 PM)Seadog Wrote:  

In 1980 people we're lined up around the block to buy gold too. Your argument that gold is money because people are lined up to buy it is a straw man argument. Were tulip bulbs money in 16th century Holland? In a sense anything of value can be currency. In olden days flour was used as currency. And why not? Very dividable, everyone needs it and can use it, and can use it fairly readily to avoid spoilage. Gold is an asset just like any other.

Why do so many people want gold in China, and why so desperately? Greed and the idea they'll make money is the only conclusion I can come to, and then you form a classic bubble. If people are convinced something will be 25% more valuable in a year, then it makes sense to pay 10% over asking today. When everyone does that, you have a user generated Ponzi scheme.

Gold has outperformed McDonalds except for the dividends? But there are dividends. Except for ability in the pool, I'm a swimmer on par with Micheal Phelps. Ignoring a major factor which contradicts you doesn't make you right, and this is after one of the best run ups for gold ever. 10 years is still semi-short term. Housing from 1996-2006 in the US was one of the best investments you could find. Hows it doing again?

A little bit of gold is never a bad idea, but the markets aren't what I would call predictable, and unless something huge happens, I can't understand why gold would appreciate more than inflation long term. The other thing, is that if society breaks down, what makes you think trade and other laws will still be in place? The people who say its better to own land, well land and property is really nothing more than a gentleman's agreement, I don't take your stuff, and you don't take mine, and neither of us will have battle wounds from fighting. What makes you think that will still be honoured? How long after Katrina did you have roving gangs where the strong just took from the weak? The picture I think some people see here, is a society exactly the same as today, with rule of law, court systems, recourse if someone seriously fucks you over, but just fiat currency is no longer trusted. This IMO is silly.

You may be right and I might be wrong, that being said I like gold and silver for many reason that would be too long and I don't wish to disclose on a public forum. trust me It does have some very great advantages that stock don't. all I can say is. I buy it regardless of spot price and I do very well and profit from it.

My current situation it work very well for me. However, I am going to buy share in stocks. I live in British Columbia, Canada. Some major natural Gas projects are going to be developed this will be government and private partnership funded and a major investment opportunity. and at the end of the day if you don't like Gold or silver, don't buy it no one is putting a gun to your head. I'm making money from gold and silver and loving it.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - thegmanifesto - 06-27-2013

$1200 Gold...

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - xsplat - 06-27-2013

Haven't been following the charts in a while. I bought most of my gold at about 1700, now it's down to 1200, meanwhile real estate in my area has gone up 50% in that time. Ouch. I'll be looking into farmland instead next time.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - _DC_ - 06-27-2013

I keep waiting for a slight increase to short, but it just keeps going sideways and down lol. Dropping like lead, and getting closer in price.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - bacon - 06-27-2013

Anyone who is invested in the metals/or considering an investment should read http://zealllc.com/essays.htm

IMO the time to buy is now when sentiment is the most bearish. Also the cot report seems to suggest that we are at unsustainable extremes (cot report comes out every friday so after the smackdown this week it should make for an interesting read tomorrow) http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/blog/4793/...lding-loan

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Hammer - 06-27-2013

I'd hold off on buying gold right now, the bearish trend is showing no signs of slowing down at all. If anything it will drop a great deal more. I don't see any reversal signals in the market yet.

Typically I'd recommend 10 grand in gold and another 10 grand in silver. Bury it and keep that as insurance. Should your life go to hell that'll be a good last resort for emergencies.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - gsinplaya - 06-27-2013

Gold should find some temporary support here after this extreme move.

There are a few indicators pointing to at least a bounce from around these levels which I could see happening.

You get the feeling it is going to be now or never for gold bugs to at least salvage a bear market rally.

Playing for the bounce is very risky though.

IMO it is still best to avoid Gold and Silver and if you are looking for Macro Investments stick to US equities.

Do you own physical Gold or Silver or Both? - Teutatis - 06-27-2013

Quote: (06-09-2013 09:22 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Do you even know what trend is?