Roosh V Forum
The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+---- Forum: Fitness (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-6.html)
+---- Thread: The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread (/thread-20051.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 11-20-2013

Quote: (11-18-2013 05:59 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Any suggestions on what to do here? I'd appreciate the feed back.

Hey man,

Just a few questions:

What specifically was the surgery you had on your knees? Was it to trim away some of the mensicus/cartilage?

Do you experience any uncomfortable clicking/locking or buckling/giving way of the knee?

Is there much swelling?

Does going down stairs hurt?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - InternationPlayboy - 11-21-2013

Actually I've never had a surgery on my knee. I've never had any real significant injuries to it, just a few minor ones. Just landing weird on it snowboarding, but nothing I would have had to see a doctor for. I so experience a little bit of clicking but it's not frequent at all. Going down stairs does hurt when i feel this pain I'm talking about, but not otherwise. When I get the pain I notice a little swelling.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 11-22-2013

Quote: (11-21-2013 07:56 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Actually I've never had a surgery on my knee. I've never had any real significant injuries to it, just a few minor ones. Just landing weird on it snowboarding, but nothing I would have had to see a doctor for. I so experience a little bit of clicking but it's not frequent at all. Going down stairs does hurt when i feel this pain I'm talking about, but not otherwise. When I get the pain I notice a little swelling.

Just a couple more clinical tests I need to know:

Do you experience any pain with this test? (you can perform this by holding onto a chair)

Does performing a deep squat bring on your pain?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - quino_16 - 12-17-2013

I have had snapping hip syndrome for about a year and half now.

I got it in Summer 2012 while I was on the Stronglifts 5x5 program. When I first injured my hip, I thought it was normal groin strain which will disappear in time. The only weird thing about the injury was the popping noise I made with my hip when I rotated it externally. Nonetheless, I associated the popping noise with the groin strain.

Anyhow, it didn't go away so I decided to see a orthopedics last spring. After a very long diagnosis (partly my fault for it being so long), he thinks that the cause of my snapping hip is iliopsoas tendonitis and has placed me in physical therapy. Hopefully, he is right since the other causes that I am aware, namely torn hip labraum and hip impingement, are a lot more complicated to deal with.

Anyway, my questions are:
1. What exercises do you recommend for strengthening the hip? And making it more flexible and mobile?

2. How long should it take for it to recover?

3. Are there any other causes for this condition?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Edmund Dantes - 12-22-2013

Body Chart Front, left deltoid. Most likely rotator cuff.

Age 21

Mechanism of Injury It happened when I was bench pressing years ago. My form was terrible and the shoulder popped a bit as I went down with the barbell. I couldn't move my shoulder for days. When it healed, I began to box/kickbox with it. Also, I think my muscles were imbalanced. Imagine a right-handed person fighting as a southpaw. I used my right more than my left and as a result, my right side was bigger.

Aggravating Factor If I sleep on my left side and use my shoulder as a pillow, it hurts in the morning. If I try to benchpress, I have less mobility and use more deltoid than chest.

Easing Factors Rest.

I got it checked out a month ago and the doctor said I had calcification in my shoulder. How the fuck can a rotator cuff injury fuck with the bone???? He said the spike in the picture included was rubbing against the tendons and causing inflammation. He said physical therapy may help but surgery is not an option since it's not that bad. It's not bad for a lazy person who never works out but for someone who loves training his body, this really inhibits me.

[Image: o6eGzue.jpg]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Need - 12-23-2013

Dislicated my 4th and 5th cmc punching someone with slight displacement. Got closedlreduction and splint. How to mobalize hands after healed?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 12-23-2013

Quote: (12-17-2013 02:36 PM)quino_16 Wrote:  

I have had snapping hip syndrome for about a year and half now.

Anyway, my questions are:
1. What exercises do you recommend for strengthening the hip? And making it more flexible and mobile?

2. How long should it take for it to recover?

3. Are there any other causes for this condition?

Hey quino,

Sorry to for the delay in the response, have been very busy leading up into christmas.

Great to see you took the initiative to get it sorted (eventually!). I'm assuming you have had no hip problems as a child, and that any intra-articular (labral tears etc) have been ruled out by the orthopaedic surgeon.

Snapping hip can be caused by problems inside or outside the hip. The external type (more common) occurs due to tightness of a band of tissue (ITB) as it rubs across the outside of the hip bone. The snapping is usually not painful. The internal type is caused when the hip flexor snaps over the thigh bone head. This is common in ballet dancers and usually quite painful. The more serious type occurs when the cartilage of the hip joint becomes damaged (e.g. car accident). This requires orthopaedic evaluation.

What exercises has the physiotherapist given you?

What is your main concern, the popping or groin pain?

Are you able to sit in low chairs without any discomfort?

1) The hip flexor stretch adding in a posterior tilt is one of my favourite for isolating the iliopsoas, but keeping the back in a good position.

[Image: ce-hip-flexor-samson-stretch-2.jpg]

Also I would work on recruiting gluts while switching off hip flexors - because (more than likely) your hip flexor is over-active, you really want recruit muscles that inhibit this faulty pattern. Below is a good start, and you should always be squeezing your gluts while you gently lift up (below is actually a hamstring strengthening one, so bring the knees closer to the chair to get glut max firing).

[Image: Hamstring%20exercise%20Supine%20thigh%20...0Chair.jpg]

I would also incorporate some glut med strengthening, perform clams (as below), however make sure as you seperate the top leg, you are gently pushing against a wall to switch off the hip flexor.

[Image: CLAM_2968.jpg]

2) Unfortunately because you have had the problem for a year and a half, you would have developed faulty patterns of recruiting muscles. When we are in pain, we use adaptive strategies, to unload the painful tissues (in your case the hip flexor). However in saying that, in my experience it usually takes about 6 weeks to re-learn the right patterns moving again.

3) Yes there are many causes of hip pain, however I'm assuming your orthopaedic surgeon ruled out the nasty ones! Some of these are:

* Referred from the lumbar spine (back)
* Labral tears
* Avascular necrosis (nasty one that usually people who have been on long term steroids are susceptible to)
* Hip flexor dysfuntion
*Snapping hip
*Arthritis
* Hernia
* Quad strain
* osteoitis pubis (inflammation of pubic symphysis where groin muscles attach to) - common following poorly managed groin strains and common in any sports requiring quick change of direction

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 12-23-2013

Quote: (12-22-2013 11:46 AM)Edmund Dantes Wrote:  

Body Chart Front, left deltoid. Most likely rotator cuff.

Age 21

Mechanism of Injury It happened when I was bench pressing years ago. My form was terrible and the shoulder popped a bit as I went down with the barbell. I couldn't move my shoulder for days. When it healed, I began to box/kickbox with it. Also, I think my muscles were imbalanced. Imagine a right-handed person fighting as a southpaw. I used my right more than my left and as a result, my right side was bigger.

Aggravating Factor If I sleep on my left side and use my shoulder as a pillow, it hurts in the morning. If I try to benchpress, I have less mobility and use more deltoid than chest.

Easing Factors Rest.

I got it checked out a month ago and the doctor said I had calcification in my shoulder. How the fuck can a rotator cuff injury fuck with the bone???? He said the spike in the picture included was rubbing against the tendons and causing inflammation. He said physical therapy may help but surgery is not an option since it's not that bad. It's not bad for a lazy person who never works out but for someone who loves training his body, this really inhibits me.

Hey Edmund, I wouldn't worry to much about the scans. You're far too young to get the type of calcific changes that interfere with rotator cuff function. just need a few questions clarified:

When you say your shoulder popped, did it feel like it was out of the joint?

Have you had any episodes where you felt the shoulder is unstable, or has it previously popped out? Any other shoulder injuries in the past?

Do you have any pins and needles or get a 'dead arm' when you wake up in the morning?

Can you do these tests and let me know which ones bring on your pain?

1) Place your left hand on the opposite shoulder and lift up the elbow
[Image: 05b.jpg]

2) Pretend like you are about to empty a can with the sore arm, and use the good arm to resist against it (below). Does this hurt?... Now squeeze the shoulder blades back, was there any reduction in your pain?

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

3) Similar test, except this time you will facing your palm up and resisting with your good hand.

4)

Finally is there any weakness with this test? The full can test - similar except point your thumb up: Sorry bout the large image, couldn't find one that was smaller!

[Image: Full-Can-Test.jpg]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Edmund Dantes - 12-24-2013

Quote:Quote:

When you say your shoulder popped, did it feel like it was out of the joint?

No, it felt like I extended it too much.

Have you had any episodes where you felt the shoulder is unstable, or has it previously popped out? Any other shoulder injuries in the past?

Negative for both.

Do you have any pins and needles or get a 'dead arm' when you wake up in the morning?

Whenever I sleep on it, the shoulder feels sore.

Can you do these tests and let me know which ones bring on your pain?

Only the can test hurts. The other ones are normal including my shoulder blades pulled back.

Thanks Pro!

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 12-25-2013

Quote: (12-23-2013 07:39 AM)Edmund Dantes Wrote:  

Only the can test hurts. The other ones are normal including my shoulder blades pulled back.

Which one hurts, the empty can test (2) or the full can test (4)?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Edmund Dantes - 12-27-2013

The empty can test. When my shoulders are retracted, it feels better. Also, I would describe the pain as burning rather than pins and needles.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 12-27-2013

Quote: (12-27-2013 03:39 AM)Edmund Dantes Wrote:  

The empty can test. When my shoulders are retracted, it feels better. Also, I would describe the pain as burning rather than pins and needles.

Hey Edmund,

I would say you have a shoulder impingement (subacromial) secondary to poor shoulder blade (scapular) positioning. As this has been happening for a while, I'd say the discomfort you have when lying on your left side is due to the bursa and irritation within the subacromial space.

[Image: ucx.subacromial.bursitis9.jpg]

If the shoulder blade is slightly tilted forward and 'out' it can really reduce the space within the shoulder and pinch on certain structures.

Poor scapular positioning can be caused by a number factors, some of these are:
* Tight pecs
* Muscle imbalances (Overactive pecs often inhibits middle and lower traps, this can pull the shoulder blade forward) - if you continue lifting with these imblances, eventually you begin to use the wrong muscles that further reinforce this faulty pattern
* Stiff thoracic (upper back)
* Recent increased load through the shoulder and poor form while exercising/lifting

The fact that your pain at the front of the shoulder is reduced by retracting your shoulder blade is a tell tale sign that you need to fix up what's happening with the shoulder blade.

First exercise I would recommend:

1) While retracting shoulder blade lift up your arm straight (only up to belly button height) while standing - don't go as high as the pic below! Don't use any resistance initially

[Image: chf_shoulder_flexion.jpg]

Do this every few hours - about 30 reps by 2. This will get your body used to recruiting the right muscles with the shoulder blade back.

2) Stretch posterior cuff - be sure not to lift the elbow above shoulder height, as this will aggravate the impingement

[Image: shoulder-stretching-cross-body-post-capsule.jpg]

3) Shoulder adduction exercises -brining the pulley in toward your body. one of my favourite shoulder exercises - this strengthens the rotator cuff without activating delts - which is exactly what we want in your case! Feel free to do these at the gym with the pulleys - I would start around 6-8kg initially.

[Image: elbow-and-shoulder-rehab-pics-039.jpg]

Finally, as you've had this problem for a while, it will take time (~6 weeks) before you start noticing considerable changes. We are creatures of habit and recorrecting faulty muscle patterns requires a bit of patience!

Let me know if you have any further questions!

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Edmund Dantes - 12-27-2013

You are correct! My left shoulder is slightly tilted forward! Thank you very much, Pro!

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 02-17-2014

Hey fellas,

Just following up on how all the RooshV crew are coming along with their injuries?

Any questions or advice you would like, please feel free to hit me up on this thread

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - KC4 - 02-17-2014

Body chart: right knee
injury : completely tore of my acl and had a miniscus tear on the left my left knee (having surgery soon) and during that period my right knee started clicking every time I extended it
Cause: unknown on the right. Fell awkwardly during mma on my
left.
It's getting worse by the month as before I wouldn't even notice the clicking but as time went it started aching a bit as well as more frequent clicking. Miniscus tear or worse?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 02-18-2014

Quote: (02-17-2014 10:54 AM)KC4 Wrote:  

Body chart: right knee
injury : completely tore of my acl and had a miniscus tear on the left my left knee (having surgery soon) and during that period my right knee started clicking every time I extended it
Cause: unknown on the right. Fell awkwardly during mma on my
left.
It's getting worse by the month as before I wouldn't even notice the clicking but as time went it started aching a bit as well as more frequent clicking. Miniscus tear or worse?

Hey kc4,

Sorry to hear man. That type of clicking within the knee joint is characteristic of a meniscal tear. How do you know you also tore your acl, have you had an MRI to confirm this?

Does your knee also lock up, or give-way/buckle underneath you?

Sometimes it CAN help having a couple sessions of physiotherapy before the surgery, to maximise range and strength prior - it does sound as if your problem is predominantly orthopedic and best left in their hands for the time being. When is your surgery due for?

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - KC4 - 02-18-2014

I have had the scans and it confirmed that it was an acl tear with a minor meniscus tear
The left one used to feel unstable but that problem has been addressed with exercises focusing on the hamstring . But i just don't thrust my left leg because it has happend that it popped out and I had to push it back in on numerous occasions . Tried to do a low kick with my right leg but it jumped out haha probably the dumbest thing I have done.
But the surgery is due in a couple of months with me hav pre-rehab before that

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - big poppa - 03-07-2014

I'm posting this for my mate.

Left shoulder weakness, crunching, popping and grinding noise whenever I rotate it. The pain has subsided since the injury (2-3 weeks ago?) it's just very weak. Any exercises which involve the shoulder can't be done without aggravating it. I can tell it is prone to further injury if used excessively.

Bruise and sharp pain on my upper right thigh; where the hip flexor is (last 2 weeks)

Shoulder - The morning after an intense workout, shoulder was in a lot of pain. It hurt to move it, couldn't do everyday activities (like lifting normal objects with my left arm). The pain has slowly subsided but it's still very weak. 5 years on and off training, this has never happened.

Hip flexor bruise - Dont know what brought this injury on. I just woke up one morning with a bruise there. All I can think of is squatting heavy, too often? Again, this has never happened in the past so I believe my form is quite good.

Aggravating factors:

Shoulder - Exercises that use the shoulder. Shoulder press, push ups, pull ups, front & back squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc

Hip flexor - Only when I get into the lower squat position I get a sharp pain.[/align]

Easing factors:

Shoulder - Not using my left arm

Hip flexor - Not squatting

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - nomansland - 04-01-2014

I have two stubborn sprains. I wrote them in the order they happened.

Body Chart: A very localized point in the right shoulder

Mechanism of injury: About a year ago, I was playing soccer, got kneed in the balls, and dropped to the ground. Problem is, I dropped on my shoulder. Balls are fine, shoulder sprained.

Went to the doctor, he said it is NOT a rotator cuff injury, just a shoulder sprain. He said I should avoid working out.

I have a friend who is in med school; he also said it is not a rotator cuff injury. He suggested working out as tolerated. Not too much, but to start with smaller weights.

Aggravating factors: Too much weight, or pressure. For example, at work, I use wrenches, if the thing is too tight, and I force it, I can feel it. Also, if I do a shouder press with too much weight, I will feel it and it will be more sore than the other shoulder the next day. Also if I happen to sleep on that shoulder, it will hurt the next day.

Easing factors: Rest...anything cold in the area.

I have not worked out since January. I initially did pullups and other shoulder exercises, thinking it was just a sprain. Then I stopped for a month or so, then I started doing light shoulder presses with very light weights (i.e. 5lbs) and ramping up. Now, I stopped completely. I take it easy at work, nothing I do really strains it.

Body Chart: Right wrist

Mechanism of injury: 3 months ago, I fell down on my wrist with my whole body falling on my wrist while it was fully flexed back (i.e knuckles touching forearms).

I went to the doctor right away, there is no fracture.

Aggravating factors: Any excessive weight, or excessive turning, twisting motion, like cranking up a dial that is the size of a doorknob. I initially had trouble moving it and having basic functionality, but I have since gotten back a full range of motion.

Easing factors: Time

After the wrist incident, I stopped sports and workouts completely. I had other people helping me at work, and had to become mildly ambidextrous as in I can now brush my teeth and use the mouse with my left hand. Now, I am able to brush my teeth, use a wrench, use a mouse, etc. with the right hand. I can also turn doorknobs, but other things that are like doorknobs but with more resistance, I will have some trouble with. A few times a day, I stretch the wrist forwards and backwards (i.e. fingers perpendicular to forearms). At both extremes, I can feel discomfort or pain. Moving it laterally (sideways) is much harder. Most of the pain or discomfort is in the bone on the side of the thumb.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-04-2014

Quote: (04-01-2014 08:01 PM)nomansland Wrote:  

I have two stubborn sprains. I wrote them in the order they happened.

Body Chart: A very localized point in the right shoulder

Mechanism of injury: About a year ago, I was playing soccer, got kneed in the balls, and dropped to the ground. Problem is, I dropped on my shoulder. Balls are fine, shoulder sprained.

Went to the doctor, he said it is NOT a rotator cuff injury, just a shoulder sprain. He said I should avoid working out.

I have a friend who is in med school; he also said it is not a rotator cuff injury. He suggested working out as tolerated. Not too much, but to start with smaller weights.

Aggravating factors: Too much weight, or pressure. For example, at work, I use wrenches, if the thing is too tight, and I force it, I can feel it. Also, if I do a shouder press with too much weight, I will feel it and it will be more sore than the other shoulder the next day. Also if I happen to sleep on that shoulder, it will hurt the next day.

Easing factors: Rest...anything cold in the area.

I have not worked out since January. I initially did pullups and other shoulder exercises, thinking it was just a sprain. Then I stopped for a month or so, then I started doing light shoulder presses with very light weights (i.e. 5lbs) and ramping up. Now, I stopped completely. I take it easy at work, nothing I do really strains it.

Hey man,

Let's just focus on the shoulder for now.

Where specifically is the pain - is it near the AC joint? (below)

[Image: PLatPhys-ACJ-288x300.jpg]

When you fell, did you land on the point of your shoulder, arms beside you or were your arms stretched out?

Do you have any neck pain?

Any pins and needles or numbness down the arm, or pain down the arm?

Does your shoulder feel unsteady, or have you had any previous trauma to the shoulder?

Does this stretch hurt?

[Image: posterior%20shoulder%20stretch.jpg]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - nomansland - 04-04-2014

Let's just focus on the shoulder for now.

Thanks.

Where specifically is the pain - is it near the AC joint? (below)

[Image: PLatPhys-ACJ-288x300.jpg]

Hard to say specifically from the diagram. It is definitely near the AC joint, but on the front side of the shoulder. Pain is very localized at one point on the shoulder, even when aggravated. The doctor managed to hold my arm out and poke the exact spot that was problematic.

When you fell, did you land on the point of your shoulder, arms beside you or were your arms stretched out?

When I fell, arm was beside me, fell on shoulder I think. I just got kneed in the balls so my mind was not focused on anything else.

Do you have any neck pain?
Any pins and needles or numbness down the arm, or pain down the arm?

No neck pain, no pins and needles, no pain down the arm.

Does your shoulder feel unsteady, or have you had any previous trauma to the shoulder?

Not sure what you mean by unsteady, but I did not have any previous injuries. I still have full range of motion when compared to the other arm and compared to before.

The only difference is, if I have my arm stretched out in front of me, and turn the hand so that the thumb points downwards, there is a slight pop on the injured shoulder, which does not happen to the non-injured shoulder. I am not sure if this used to happen before the injury as I did not notice it before. I only noticed it when looking for shoulder exercises to do to recover from this injury.

Does this stretch hurt?

[Image: posterior%20shoulder%20stretch.jpg]
[/quote]

No, that stretch does not hurt.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Prophylaxis - 04-06-2014

Great, thanks for that nomans,

Just a few more tests to give me a better understanding:

Any pain at the front of the shoulder with these tests:

[Image: 05b.jpg]

[Image: 84611-92814-189tn.jpg]

Pretend you are emptying a can and apply resistance with your other hand while you push up against it

As above, provide resistance with the other hand
[Image: Speeds.jpg]

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - Thomas the Rhymer - 04-06-2014

I'm struggling a lot lately with left lower back pain and right hip pain with spasm. It seems to be triggered off by driving and is relieved by standing or lying flat on the floor. Carrying a bag on my right shoulder makes it worse, while carrying a bag on my left shoulder improves it.

When the spasm is at its worst, I struggle to properly walk - my muscles are so stiff that I struggle to initiate flexion. Once flexion is underway, then I'm okay, but I have to do this weird drop-foot gait whenever the spasm is bad - I have to swing the right leg forward. Generally though, the spasm is not that bad but it these days it often affects my running - if I try to run, it's either extremely painful/stiff or if the stiffness is not too bad, I feel sometimes like I'm going to tip over to the right (the side of affected hip).

I suspect that I'm mainly having spasm of the right piriformis, and that the left iliopsoas has to then compensate for it and then also goes into a spasm.

Applying a hot water bottle on my right glutes or over my right hip flank relieves the pain/spasm. Anti-inflammatories help the pain but not the spasm, so I generally have to take a mild muscle relaxant with it. The problem is that these solutions only fix the problem temporarily and then the spasm recurs.

I've been having this problem for a few years but it used to just be a few days every month, but now for the past 2 months I have more painful days than pain-free days.

I was thinking of going for xrays and a sonar to properly identify the inflamed areas but before I do that I thought I'd get your opinion on the matter.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - nomansland - 04-06-2014

Quote: (04-06-2014 04:57 AM)Prophylaxis Wrote:  

Just a few more tests to give me a better understanding:

The only one that causes pain is the one where I pretend to empty a can. Not when the arm is straight in front of me, but if the arm is sort of angled down anywhere from 20-40 degrees from horizontal, and there is resistance then I can feel pain. My med school friend did various stretches and exercises like this where he gave resistance when he was trying to diagnose it, and this was the only time I felt something.

FYI, The emptying the can thing is also when I can feel the pop that I mentioned in the previous post. Specifically, if I pretend to hold the can straight and then turn it to empty it.

The Roosh V PT/Physiotherapy Thread - TheBMan - 04-06-2014

So I was running about 3 weeks ago and all the sudden it felt like I got shot in the leg and I went down. As I was running my foot came down and I think I hyperextended my knee in addition to straining the very upper part of my calf muscle (on the outer portion). I could barely walk for a couple and am just now walking normal again. Is there anything else I should be doing to help my recovery? Thanks in advance.