Roosh V Forum
Let's talk shoes - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Let's talk shoes (/thread-26488.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Let's talk shoes - Gorgiass - 11-24-2014

Ecco makes the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, but all I've owned were strictly casual wear. Wolverines 1k are pretty comfortable with the roomy toebox and cork sole. I imagine the Iron Rangers would be similar with their cork sole, although the toebox looks a little tighter.

Let's talk shoes - speakeasy - 12-20-2014

How do you guys feel between these two? I want one or the other, or if you have something similar to those you'd recommend instead. I definitely like the dark brown or black leather juxtaposed with the tan sole.

The second pair are UGGs, which I normally hate, but these are nice I think. They're both about the same price, around $160-170.

[Image: 81SRQW5iZsL._UX575_.jpg]

[Image: 814KCRULqWL._UX575_.jpg]

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 12-21-2014

Quote: (12-20-2014 01:29 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

How do you guys feel between these two? I want one or the other, or if you have something similar to those you'd recommend instead. I definitely like the dark brown or black leather juxtaposed with the tan sole.

The second pair are UGGs, which I normally hate, but these are nice I think. They're both about the same price, around $160-170.

[Image: 81SRQW5iZsL._UX575_.jpg]

[Image: 814KCRULqWL._UX575_.jpg]

To me, they both look good. The top one is more rugged, and the bottom are more refined. So, I think you have to decide which ones fit your style better. Looks like the top ones could actually be used as work boots as well as wearing to the bar. The bottom are nice enough that they could be worn to work or even when suited up.

Let's talk shoes - Gunner - 12-26-2014

Hey, I bought these online and when they arrived they are really green, I do not know how to combine them and I do not want to return them, they were a good price, what do you think? How would you combine them?

[Image: allen-edmonds-rush-street-cap-toe-oxford...eath-a.jpg]

Let's talk shoes - Gorgiass - 12-27-2014

Quote: (12-26-2014 11:18 PM)Gunner Wrote:  

Hey, I bought these online and when they arrived they are really green, I do not know how to combine them and I do not want to return them, they were a good price, what do you think? How would you combine them?

A price is only "good" if you enjoy the product, but that said you can darken the color some with some neutral (clear) polish, especially if it's rougher material. If that doesn't do it work some neutral polish into the rag and mix a little brown or black in. Try both on a small inconspicuous area first of course. They look pretty nice to me in the pic.

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 12-27-2014

Those are AE Strands? To pull them off, I would say you have two options:

1. Wear them with neutral, plain-colored pants like brown/khaki chinos or grey slacks, then wear a shirt, jacket, or accessory (like a hat, scarf, watch band, or belt) that has some of or is the same color as the shoes. I think moss green is a good fall/winter color, so it shouldn't be that hard to find the color in other items. A checked or multi-striped scarf with some moss green in it might be the easiest way, or a moss-green colored shirt, sweater, sport coat, or pea coat.

2. Wear them with pants that are in a different, but complementary green tone. That might take some experimenting to get it right, but once you have it right, it will probably look really good.

Let's talk shoes - Eddie Morra - 12-27-2014

If the are "too green" you can try to wax them with neutral "bees wax". It will not only darken them but protect them against the elements as well. I had a pair of red leather chukkas and they were too red, so that's what I did and it darkened them nicely. They are now a nice deep, rich reddish color. Added a bit of character.

See a good cobbler for recommentations if you have any doubts.

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 12-27-2014

I just pulled the trigger on these dress boots from Nordstrom's big half-year sale. I hope they fit because I like that sleek look.

Let's talk shoes - monster - 12-27-2014

Green?

Return them. You mentioned you got them at a great price. But if you never wear them that's still too much.

Let's talk shoes - Cobra - 03-07-2015

I need you guys' help here. I'm trying to build a shoe collection. I have been wearing shitty shoes for years. I generally have good style as far as slim fit pants, blazer, even pocket square. However, I have not been concentrating on shoes. I have been wearing cheaper (Steve Maddens, Skechers) so far with black socks. Now, I have switched to colored socks to match my shirt and pocket square as much as possible. However, left over are the shoes which I intend to match with my pants mostly.

I have been scouring this thread and online resources. My goal is to get about 5 kinds of shoes as some of the gentlemen in this thread have mentioned. I just bought some Cole Haan Walnut Wingtip Brogues from Norstrom Rack. Next up are black Chelsea boots, a set of monk strap shoes, and a set of penny loafers. I want to go with at least Allen Edmonds or even beyond.

My first question is: Ebay. There are a lot of deals there (used) but some are claimed to be in "excellent" condition. Now, I'm talking Ferragamos for $100 and others for for even less. Would you get them on Ebay and why?

Secondly, there is a hierarchy of prices on shoes. Even when discounted. I've been to Nordstrom Rack and they have great prices (lower than retailers such as Macy's) but are there other places such as this. I know people already mentioned the "Allen Edmonds" outlets and tent sale but any place else I should be shopping to get some good deals other than these spots or ones already mentioned in the thread? I assume DSW doesn't sell anything Cole Haans or above but not sure if that's true.

As far as the Hierarchy of prices, here's kind of what I gathered (from trips to the "Internet" and "Nordstrom Rack")

1. Ferragamo's (by far the most expensive I know but Italian made and stylish and supposed to be "soft leather" that lasts long) - $500 - $1,000+
2. Magninnis - Seem to have good reviews here in this thread and elsewhere; $200+ for a decent pair at Nordstrom Rack.
3. Allen Edmonds - Enough said; $180 for a decent pair at Nordstrom Rack
4. Cole Haan - Supposed recent quality drop after Nike acquisition ; $130ish for a decent pair at Nordstrom Rack
5. Brolette - Slightly cheaper than Cole Haan - $80-$100ish
5. Florsheim, Aldo, Steve Madden, etc. (sub $80)

I created the above list just based on prices so can someone compare and contrast a bit on the differences between each, at least generally, so I know what I pay for and what I get (eg. better leather, better service etc.)?

There are also other brands in between Cole Haan and the lowest Steve Maddens, like Gordon Rush and To Boot New York. How are these brands?

Let's talk shoes - Drazen - 03-08-2015

So much fake stuff on ebay, I wouldn't take the risk, personally. I've been burned before.

Let's talk shoes - PhDre - 03-08-2015

The quality of a pair of shoes is mainly determined by two things: the leather and the construction method.

For the leather you want full grain leather. This is the entire top part of the hide and it has not been sanded or buffed. This kind of leather will likely have some blemishes and imperfections on the surface but it is the strongest and most durable leather out there. It has a natural, non plastic look, and will develop a fantastic patina over time. Shoes made out of full grain leather will start to look better over time instead of wearing out. Watch out: the description should explicitly state "full grain leather" together with the thickness used. The thickness should be 1.5 to 2 mm. Top grain leather, genuine leather, bonded leather etc. are inferior products that will wear out quickly, get easily damaged and will never develop a great natural patina.

In most shoes the soles are glued to the uppers. In quality shoes they are stitched together. There are roughly three widely used stitching methods:
- Norvegese: the most complicated and expensive method but results in very waterproof shoes. Has a very distinct look to it which a lot of people do not like. This is overkill for shoes that are not meant for hunting, hiking etc.
- Goodyear welted: the gold standard for quality shoes. The sole is stitched to the welt and the welt is stitched to the upper. The space between the inner and outer sole is filled with cork. This results in durable, comfortable, relatively waterproof shoes that are easily resoled.
- Blake stitching: the upper is directly stitched to the sole. These shoes are sleeker than Goodyear welted shoes but they are not waterproof and they are hard to resole.

If you want to buy a pair of quality shoes, go for Goodyear welted shoes in full grain leather. If you take care of them, they will last for many years (at least 5-10 years with proper care) and they will continuously get prettier as they develop a patina over time. The differences in price between different brands is mainly determined by the quality of the leathers (more expensive shoes will have thicker, more supple leather with fewer imperfections) and the finishing (stitching, embroidery).

These are some good brands:
- Meermin shoes: 160 - 300 euros. These are the only high quality shoes I personally own an I am very happy with them. They are among the cheapest Goodyear welted, full grain leather shoes you can buy.
- Markowski, Loake, Church's: 300 euros
- Carmina: 350 - 650 euros
- Crockett and Jones, Vass: 500 euros
- John Lobb, Edward Green, Gaziano&Girling: 1000 euros
If you are looking for US brands, I think Alden and Cobbler Union offer high quality products.

Disclaimer: I only own Meermin shoes in real life, the other brand recommendations are based on online opinions.

Let's talk shoes - robreke - 03-08-2015

Quote: (10-07-2014 06:47 AM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

Allen Edmonds' annual sale is ongoing until 21 October. It's often difficult to find AE first-line shoes (AE also has a "seconds" line that go on sale more often) on sale. Although Nordstrom frequently puts AE shoes on sale, their color selections are usually more limited than the AE site.

Most of the shoes are about 15% off. Some, however, like the Fifth Avenue, are almost 30% off.

I'm looking at the allen Edmond strand cap toe dress oxfords....similar to those in the pic in the links, but have those little designer dots.

I was hoping I could get some advice from someone who owns AE shoes because I had a conundrum while trying them on.

I tried on the 10.5 and when I walked , my heel slipped up a little with each step....so then I tried the 10....and the shoes felt kind of tight and uncomfortable around the ankle where my sock first shoes.

Both were their "D" width which is regular....and that is all this store location has....so I'm thinking I may need to order another pair off the internet.

so I'm thinking maybe I should go with "C" width....slightly narrower....in the 10.5 and that will take care of the slip.

Anyone have experience with this shoes and how they tend to fit....does my thinking sound right?

Let's talk shoes - Dalaran1991 - 03-08-2015

What do you think about putting metal taps under shoe's heel and toes to protect the soles?

It certainly helps durability but it makes a clickling sound and I feel like my footstep is heavier and more shock is sent to my legs.

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 03-09-2015

Quote: (03-08-2015 04:40 PM)robreke Wrote:  

Quote: (10-07-2014 06:47 AM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

Allen Edmonds' annual sale is ongoing until 21 October. It's often difficult to find AE first-line shoes (AE also has a "seconds" line that go on sale more often) on sale. Although Nordstrom frequently puts AE shoes on sale, their color selections are usually more limited than the AE site.

Most of the shoes are about 15% off. Some, however, like the Fifth Avenue, are almost 30% off.

I'm looking at the allen Edmond strand cap toe dress oxfords....similar to those in the pic in the links, but have those little designer dots.

I was hoping I could get some advice from someone who owns AE shoes because I had a conundrum while trying them on.

I tried on the 10.5 and when I walked , my heel slipped up a little with each step....so then I tried the 10....and the shoes felt kind of tight and uncomfortable around the ankle where my sock first shoes.

Both were their "D" width which is regular....and that is all this store location has....so I'm thinking I may need to order another pair off the internet.

so I'm thinking maybe I should go with "C" width....slightly narrower....in the 10.5 and that will take care of the slip.

Anyone have experience with this shoes and how they tend to fit....does my thinking sound right?

I also had trouble getting my AE's to fit. I think I finally went with 1/2 size down than I usually wear but in wide-medium (DD?)

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 03-09-2015

Quote: (03-08-2015 07:59 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

What do you think about putting metal taps under shoe's heel and toes to protect the soles?

It certainly helps durability but it makes a clickling sound and I feel like my footstep is heavier and more shock is sent to my legs.

I've been thinking about getting taps also, because I read it helps extend the life of the shoe. However, my workplace has a lot of hard linoleum floors and I'm afraid I'm going to get really annoyed hearing my shoes tap everytime I walk around.

Let's talk shoes - Duly.noted - 03-10-2015

Wow alot of good suggestions in this thread! My style has been lacking over the last few years, especially in regards to shoes, and I am really starting to pay attention to my style now. Just starting to get fitted clothing and such.

I am really digging those Allen Edmonds Balton boots. They look great with those jeans and I could pull them off with a Navy suit, khakis, or even those darn grey plaid slacks i have which match nothing. I'm not exactly thrilled with the price though. Im looking to revamp alot of my wardrobe while in china this year (going to a big fashion city so i am hoping to be able to get some nice clothing cheap) but id rather not drop 400 on a pair of boots when I need blazers, suits, tailored shirts, etc.

Any suggestions on some similar styles that would get me in around or under the $200 mark? $250 would be good too. I need to get at least 3 pairs of shoes.
Im looking for boots like the daltons that I could dress up with a suit/blazer or down with jeans, a pair of dress shoes for when I am really suiting it up, and probably a pair of black shoes. I dont mind replacing the black with some colorful wingtips though.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Let's talk shoes - 40plus - 03-10-2015

I discovered Jack Erwin about 2 years ago and price/quality ratio is damn good.

Here are their boots, http://www.jackerwin.com/products/carter...full-grain

I have a pair of the Abe's in brown suede and the double monks in burnished tan and I get tons of compliments on them.

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 03-10-2015

Quote: (03-10-2015 01:16 PM)Duly.noted Wrote:  

Wow alot of good suggestions in this thread! My style has been lacking over the last few years, especially in regards to shoes, and I am really starting to pay attention to my style now. Just starting to get fitted clothing and such.

I am really digging those Allen Edmonds Balton boots. They look great with those jeans and I could pull them off with a Navy suit, khakis, or even those darn grey plaid slacks i have which match nothing. I'm not exactly thrilled with the price though. Im looking to revamp alot of my wardrobe while in china this year (going to a big fashion city so i am hoping to be able to get some nice clothing cheap) but id rather not drop 400 on a pair of boots when I need blazers, suits, tailored shirts, etc.

Any suggestions on some similar styles that would get me in around or under the $200 mark? $250 would be good too. I need to get at least 3 pairs of shoes.
Im looking for boots like the daltons that I could dress up with a suit/blazer or down with jeans, a pair of dress shoes for when I am really suiting it up, and probably a pair of black shoes. I dont mind replacing the black with some colorful wingtips though.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Two of the best websites/blogs for finding out about sales on mens clothes and shoes in the US are Dappered and Put This On. For example, last year Dappered reviewed and recommended a wingtip boot from JCPenny that was less than $100 but they said was excellent quality (it's sold out now). If you keep watching those two blogs and taking advantage of the sales they highlight I think you will eventually (within a year or two) have all the quality shoes you need for around $100-250 a pair. Those To Boot NY wingtip boots I mentioned earlier in this thread that I bought from Nordstrom I found through Dappered and I got them for $100 off. Those boots are now my go-tos when I go out at night.

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 03-12-2015

I've been trying to figure out if it looks congruent to wear dress boots in the summer, especially if you live in a hot and humid climate like I do in Tokyo. I really like wearing dress boots when I'm out at night, but afraid that it looks too heavy when it's hot and you're wearing lighter clothes up top. I'm thinking that it's ok if you:

- Wear boots that are less substantial, such as with crepe soles, chukka size (ankle boots), and less brogueing (such as pronounced wingtips)
- The boots are lighter-colored, such as tan, light grey, or a livelier color like blue, yellow, burgundy, or red (harder to pull off)
- All of the above plus suede leather

What do you think?

Let's talk shoes - Duly.noted - 03-12-2015

Quote: (03-12-2015 06:38 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

I've been trying to figure out if it looks congruent to wear dress boots in the summer, especially if you live in a hot and humid climate like I do in Tokyo. I really like wearing dress boots when I'm out at night, but afraid that it looks too heavy when it's hot and you're wearing lighter clothes up top. I'm thinking that it's ok if you:

- Wear boots that are less substantial, such as with crepe soles, chukka size (ankle boots), and less brogueing (such as pronounced wingtips)
- The boots are lighter-colored, such as tan, light grey, or a livelier color like blue, yellow, burgundy, or red (harder to pull off)

What do you think?

I am not a fashion guru but wouldnt this be location related too? In the southern US boots are worn all year. Heavy cowboy or work boots every day even if it's 120 degrees outside. By relation if I am in Japan it will never be anywhere near what I consider hot or humid. To me 100 degrees is when it starts getting hot. At about 98% humidity. And im not joking at all. So I would personally feel comfortable wearing dress boots in the vast majority of climates or weather situations. I would see it as personal style. Maybe dress boots in summer is against the tules but breaking them for your personal style should be ok right?

Let's talk shoes - MrXY - 03-12-2015

Quote: (03-09-2015 02:28 AM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

Quote: (03-08-2015 07:59 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

I've been thinking about getting taps also, because I read it helps extend the life of the shoe. However, my workplace has a lot of hard linoleum floors and I'm afraid I'm going to get really annoyed hearing my shoes tap everytime I walk around.

Don't do it. Have your cobbler put on Topys or similar sole coverings. It will improve your traction and make your soles last much longer.

Let's talk shoes - Carlos100 - 03-12-2015

Quote: (03-12-2015 06:54 PM)Duly.noted Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2015 06:38 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

What do you think?

I am not a fashion guru but wouldnt this be location related too?

That's a good point. In Japan it can be considered rude and ill-mannered if your clothing is too different from those around you (I guess, to some extent, this applies everywhere, but it seems more so in Japan). So, there's a little more pressure to dress similarly to everyone else. Most men here, if I recall correctly, don't wear boots in the summer unless they're actually doing work that requires boots.

I wear boots in the summer. I wear ankle boots like chelseas and chukkas in lighter colors.
I pair them with light colored pants. I often wear boots when im wearing a sportcoat.
I live in a Florida beach town and I don't think there's anything inappropriate about boots in the summer as long as they are the right type for the season.

Anybody else wear bucks in the Spring?

[Image: attachment.jpg25305]   

Maybe that's more of a Southern thing, don't know. I usually wear white bucks, but Bass has a blue and white model with red stitching this year that looks snazzy and I might go with that.