Roosh V Forum
Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? (/thread-14379.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Medic42 - 03-21-2015

[Image: drake-the-type-of-nigga-that-gets-sad-be...bating.png]

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jariel - 03-27-2015

Ludacris fucked one of Drake's girlfriends, Drake alluded it to in the song "How Bout Now", but Luda filled in the blanks...

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Redwood - 04-15-2015

big ghost reviews drake's recent mixtape:

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-pre...te-review/

it adds fuel to the fire for drake schadenfreudes.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jariel - 06-20-2015

Some rather obvious clues that this is another song about Rhianna...

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jariel - 07-22-2015

Meek Mill has put Drake on blast, he doesn't write his own shit:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/22/meek-mill-...d-twitter/

"Pray the real live forever man, pray that fakes get exposed..."

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Aquiles_Baesta_Parada - 07-22-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 05:50 PM)jariel Wrote:  

Who the fuck is Meek Mill?!

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Jukes - 07-22-2015

Even though he will be at risk of being blackball, Meek is the lastest rapper to call out Drake and phony ways. Still Drake have pull to the point the mayor of Toronto said Meek is banned. Hoping to hear a nice diss track soon from either. Knowing Drake though it will be subliminal.

Edit: Shit jariel came through. That ghostwriters topic surface up a few time. The rumor is his OVO label is basically a writing bank that he frequently withdraw from. The only one who got any shine from the label is Makonen? (Tuesday song) and The Weekend. This is a prime example of letting fraud in and he have too much reputation now.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Goldin Boy - 07-22-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 05:50 PM)jariel Wrote:  

Not sure if this is true but:

1) Meek Mill and Drake have a "beef"*so I find this claim to be as credible as an ex-girlfriend saying you have a small dick after you break-up with her.

2) Everybody know's Drake's not about that life. He's a spoiled bougie cat with 0 connections to the streets. He's not hood so no one has expected him "keep it real". If that Quentin Miller is his writing his bars (could be a co-producer in the liner notes), then this isn't going to ruin Drake popularity with his predominantly female fan base, who don't care who write the bars.

*Twitter beef is so corny, I wish rappers would make non-subliminal diss tracks or actually fight one another again.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Joga Bonito - 07-22-2015

For as much as Drake gets called out for some of his feminine tendencies, you can't help but feel that Mill is being extra corny in this matter. Dude goes on these silly Twitter rants way to often and gets a pass for it, especially since he prides himself on being "street". Let's not forget that Drake was wearing "Free Meek Mill" shirts while Mill was in jail and called Dreams and Nightmares, "one of the best rap moments of our generation", so he's been showing love for some time now. Despite this he throws a hissy fit because Drake didn't "tweet his album". The fact of the matter is that Mill's accusations are unfounded(for now), not to mention that most major hip hop acts like Kanye and Wayne, have collaborators on their projects.

I don't expect Drake to respond outright(another criticism many have of him), since he historically hasn't in his other beefs. At best, we'll probably get a few subliminal bars in response, but since Drake is superior artistically, he gains nothing by engaging an inferior talent head on. Perhaps the Nicki factor shouldn't be overlooked in all this either........

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jariel - 07-22-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 06:42 PM)Joga Bonito Wrote:  

For as much as Drake gets called out for some of his feminine tendencies, you can't help but feel that Mill is being extra corny in this matter. Dude goes on these silly Twitter rants way to often and gets a pass for it, especially since he prides himself on being "street". Let's not forget that Drake was wearing "Free Meek Mill" shirts while Mill was in jail and called Dreams and Nightmares, "one of the best rap moments of our generation", so he's been showing love for some time now. Despite this he throws a hissy fit because Drake didn't "tweet his album". The fact of the matter is that Mill's accusations are unfounded(for now), not to mention that most major hip hop acts like Kanye and Wayne, have collaborators on their projects.

I don't expect Drake to respond outright(another criticism many have of him), since he historically hasn't in his other beefs. At best, we'll probably get a few subliminal bars in response, but since Drake is superior artistically, he gains nothing by engaging an inferior talent head on. Perhaps the Nicki factor shouldn't be overlooked in all this either........

Not that I disagree with you, but the 411 on Drake and ghostwriters has been out there for a minute, Meek Mill is just the highest profile dude to shine the light on it.

Go look at Drake's album credits, it seems like whenever Boi-1da produces the track, he's also getting writing credits.

Quentin Miller has writing credits on a lot of Drake tracks.

Miller has his own material, a lot of it produced by, guess who? Boi-1da.

Where there's smoke...

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jayesco - 07-22-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 07:40 PM)jariel Wrote:  

Not that I disagree with you, but the 411 on Drake and ghostwriters has been out there for a minute, Meek Mill is just the highest profile dude to shine the light on it.

Go look at Drake's album credits, it seems like whenever Boi-1da produces the track, he's also getting writing credits.

Where there's smoke...

If he's in the song credits I don't get what the big deal is, that would mean he really isn't a ghostwriter. Rappers/singers collaborate with other artists and writers all the time so not a big deal. I just heard the dude's reference track for Drake's 10 bands, and while the hook is mostly the same, the verses are different.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Joga Bonito - 07-22-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 06:42 PM)Joga Bonito Wrote:  

Where there's smoke...

Point taken, but again that's not necessarily an indictment on Drake. A lot of times, producers will provide the hook on a track in addition to the beat, so in that case they will doubly get producing and writing credits. Jay-Z and Kanye did this a few times actually, on tracks like Encore. I'm not saying you and Meek are wrong, but more compelling evidence needs to be put forth when saying Drake has an outright ghostwriter. Interestingly enough, alot of people are saying that when Kendrick rapped on King Kunta he was referring to Drake:

Quote:Quote:

I can dig rapping, but a rapper with a ghostwriter? / What the fuck happened? / (Oh no) I swore I wouldn’t tell / But most of y’all sharing bars like you got the bottom bunk in a two-man cell / Something’s in the water / And if I got a brown nose for some gold then I’d rather be a bum than a motherfuckin’ baller.

So maybe the secret is out, although that line can be applied to a lot of rappers including Kanye.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jariel - 07-23-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 08:47 PM)jayesco Wrote:  

If he's in the song credits I don't get what the big deal is, that would mean he really isn't a ghostwriter.

I don't want to get too deep into this stuff because eventually I'll end up giving up what I do and what not, but the game is not that simplistic.

There are a lot of Quentin Miller's out there, some of them are producers, rappers, etc. They do work, someone who has the name that sells gets the credit in the end.

At the end of the day, Quentin Miller can't be Drake. He can write his songs, but he can't be the same brand that Drake has built, so at the end of the day instead of being a famous rapper, he's been up until now, an afterthought as a ghostwriter.

Something about ghostwriting, ghost producing, etc. it happens a lot, and you don't always get your name in the credits for the work that you do.

The 10 Bands demo is incredibly telling:

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - TravelerKai - 07-23-2015

Quote: (07-22-2015 08:47 PM)jayesco Wrote:  

Where there's smoke...

If he's in the song credits I don't get what the big deal is, that would mean he really isn't a ghostwriter. Rappers/singers collaborate with other artists and writers all the time so not a big deal. I just heard the dude's reference track for Drake's 10 bands, and while the hook is mostly the same, the verses are different.

You would be very surprised who hires or pays for ghostwriting and beatmaking. I personally know a couple. Your ability to make money doing it is inversely correlated to your ability to shut the fuck up about it. Your typical Ghostwriter could never pull off being a major act. Just because you have bars for days, does not mean you will be very famous or successful. Ask Cassidy, JR Writer, and just about every top 20 freestyler/battle rapper in the US. Hell Big L is considered the best lyricist ever, but no one brings him up as a top 2 except backpackers and hiphop nerds. He has literally no pop culture recognition, only Biggie and Pac.

Remember Mad Skillz? He was one of the more famous ones, only because he got angry about something, I forgot what it was, and made a song with bleeped out names of all the famous people he ever wrote for.

Mad Skillz" "On the real"
"I'll probably make more money off your album than you" (Repeat 3x)
"I'm want to tell you once, and only once"

[Verse 1]
First of all, I ain't even want to make this shit
There's a lot of rap cats out here faking the shit
I'm a ghostwriter, I'm the cat that you don't see
I write hits for rappers you like and charge 'em a fee
Yo don't get me wrong dog, it's the cheddar that counts
But fuck that nigga ______ cause his fucking check bounced
You thought ______ your single was hot?
I wrote that shit five minutes in a parking lot
I'm the one that your man ______ had to go and get
Cause he smoked too much lye, couldn't write his own shit
Now ______ A&R, he on my answering machine sick
Hollaring in my phone, "Skillz, can you write to this?"
Sure, for stacks, nigga, I make your act bigger
But fuck ______ and his whole label cause I ain't never get my plaque, nigga
Jadakiss told y'all cats and that's that
Y'all have a ASCAP or get your ass capped

[Hook]
"Mad Skillz" "Ghost writer, and for the right price
I can even make yo shit tigher" --] Jay Z (Repeat 3x)
"When my pen hits the paper, awwww shit!" --] Kane

[Verse 2]
Now that fool ______ can't flow, but his crew is sick
Cause he got long dough, so wait til you hear his new shit
I did two songs for ______ til they dough got straight
And even ______ from the West Coast owe me some pape
Remember the little kids, the one that was in ______ group?
I'm the reason you though they lil raps was so cute
I had a hundred songs on the Billboard list
Ask again dog, how I got your deal on my wrist
I did done NBA cats and NFL
But I stopped in '97 cause they shit don't sell
Now ______ paid up cause she was owing me stacks
Who in the hell you think had that chicken flowing like that?
I hate writing for ______ cause he take too long
Crying about the price, I hit him with two fucking songs!
Ran up in ______'s office and wrecked his staff
Cause it's been two years and dog ain't paid the second half

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
So if you just signed, trust me dog, you can't touch it
Don't ask your label for Skillz, cause that ain't in your budget
Y'all cats parlay for chips, I mingle for mills
I turn your whole album into a single deal
I stopped writing for ______ cause that fool don't get it
Looking long sessions and he punching every five minutes
Where my ones, nigga? What the fuck I look like?
And his man ______ got mad cause he couldn't get the hook right
I spit ______ and we don't see eye to eye
So I feel like Lee took his Rollie up in BMI
I'm the one that gave ______ his brand new sound
I did his last two albums without even writing 'em down
And for ______ from the South, dog you shook
Stop bouncing on stage nigga like you wrote that hook
You favorite rappers' songs? I put the flames in it
Y'all keep fucking around, I'm a put this back out with your names in it

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - kosko - 07-23-2015

Toronto is a small place.

Until the real things that happen with our known people spill out then all you can say that its all just BS and speculation.

When Drake was just a werdio mixed kid he was still getting checks writing on liner notes and behind the scenes. It has been one of his few fall backs as the man has has consistent bars even from when he was a nobody.

If Drake was really paying for bars it would be known here because there are enough haters and this city is small enough that it would get out.

Until real things get out then don't believe this stuff. Americans are real ignorant and don't know anything about Toronto. Most can't even find it on a map.

Until real rumors come out like how Drake made a name for himself really fucking any broad with a booty, some real busted, which is baked up more by girls around here being prey to his old text game. That's all real but nobody talks about it.

Or how about the Weekend being so deep in the closet. The man is a awkward closet queer who won't touch women but nobody wants to talk about that. Again that's known hwew in Toronto but it isn't broadcasted outside of the city limits.

What I am saying is that when I hear rumors about Drake they are not really based on anything. You spend time here you will besr all sorts of stories about him from dudes who used to, or still run with him.

I can't buy any stories of how Drake buys bars when that was a source of his income when he was coming up in writing bars for American dudes. How does it make sense?

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jayesco - 07-23-2015

Quote: (07-23-2015 08:17 AM)kosko Wrote:  

I can't buy any stories of how Drake buys bars when that was a source of his income when he was coming up in writing bars for American dudes. How does it make sense?

I think everyone knows Drake can write but now people are going to act like it's not OK to have help on tracks. The reference track probably hurts him a little a bit, cause in other people's eyes it looks like he just straight copying what Miller did.

I remember telling my girl that Drake just has the flow/voice where he can take anything and make it sound good. A few years ago at the VH1 hip hop awards, Drake and Bun B performed Get Throwed. Drake covered Pimp C's verse, and I remember thinking to myself he made that song sound a 100x better.

There is a similar thing out with Wayne too, I remember people use to say Drake was his ghostwriter. You can find Wayne performing Drake's Money to Blow verse before Drake became well-known.

If this somehow marks the end of dude's career, he definitely had a good run. He's pretty much been at the top of the game since '09. I'm curious to see what type of feedback his music gets after all of this.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - dads - 07-23-2015

If I've said something negative about Drake in this thread, or anywhere else, sue me, I don't care.

Dude is one of my favorite rappers. This is going to embarrass some of the older rap fans around here, but I was posting on the B9 when someone made a thread about "Best I Ever Had", and that song got me into rap music. In my opinion (as someone who only has tangential music connections), guys write their own stuff. Sometimes, someone writes a dope song with a dope flow and they ask for it. Who gives a fuck if he copped the 9th best song on a mixtape of scraps made to make everything even with his label? He wrote the stuff that makes him the dude he is. Nobody wrote that Courtney on Peachtree shit.

Now I'm not excusing him for any of his other "sus" stuff. However, something strikes me as very odd about Meek's beef. I doubt Drake ever hit it, but he has publicly pined over the ass that Meek is currently in. Could he be mad about that? Who knows.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Joga Bonito - 07-23-2015

Quote: (07-23-2015 08:49 AM)jayesco Wrote:  

I think everyone knows Drake can write but now people are going to act like it's not OK to have help on tracks. The reference track probably hurts him a little a bit, cause in other people's eyes it looks like he just straight copying what Miller did.

I remember telling my girl that Drake just has the flow/voice where he can take anything and make it sound good. A few years ago at the VH1 hip hop awards, Drake and Bun B performed Get Throwed. Drake covered Pimp C's verse, and I remember thinking to myself he made that song sound a 100x better.

There is a similar thing out with Wayne too, I remember people use to say Drake was his ghostwriter. You can find Wayne performing Drake's Money to Blow verse before Drake became well-known.

If this somehow marks the end of dude's career, he definitely had a good run. He's pretty much been at the top of the game since '09. I'm curious to see what type of feedback his music gets after all of this.

Seems like a lot of people think that this is the beginning of the end for Drizzy. To be fair, Quentin Miller is credited on the track "10 Bands" and Drake's camp voluntarily leaked this to Funk Flex, so the ghostwriter accusations are still not accurate. Needless to say this isn't a good look for dude, but I think he'll bounce back. His fanbase is too diverse and rabid.

Until the real things that happen with our known people spill out then all you can say that its all just BS and speculation.

I think this is past the point of just being BS and speculation.

Again, this isn't new news. Just because people at home won't say anything, I mean hell, why would they, who in the mainstream with the kind of influence that he has has ever repped Toronto the way he has?

He's got people talking about "the 6" like it's the 305 -- which it will never be.

Some people like Shi Wisdom have been paid off, hell it's not even in their best interest to talk, especially since checks are being written left and right.

I know Drake tends to not really respond to this kind of stuff, or he might mention it subtly in a song, but he has to respond to this.

Dude is on some greatness shit, and that's cool, but as a rapper, you can't be considered a great when other dudes are at a minimum coming up with the concepts of your records, and then you're just coming in the studio and changing some of the words and filling in the blanks.

The 10 Bands scratch track is documented proof, so again, hard to call this "just BS and speculation".

I also think it's incorrect to assume that someone within the camp actually had the authority to send this shit out, if anything, this makes the situation looks worse, this is the type of situation where you really find out who's really riding with you.

I'm not going to buy into all that Toronto rah-rah bullshit, because you still have haters, you still have people who are going to be jealous, you still have people who are jaded and may not feel they're getting what they deserve, it happens all the time.

Quote: (07-23-2015 08:01 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

You would be very surprised who hires or pays for ghostwriting and beatmaking. I personally know a couple. Your ability to make money doing it is inversely correlated to your ability to shut the fuck up about it. Your typical Ghostwriter could never pull off being a major act. Just because you have bars for days, does not mean you will be very famous or successful. Ask Cassidy, JR Writer, and just about every top 20 freestyler/battle rapper in the US. Hell Big L is considered the best lyricist ever, but no one brings him up as a top 2 except backpackers and hiphop nerds. He has literally no pop culture recognition, only Biggie and Pac.

Remember Mad Skillz? He was one of the more famous ones, only because he got angry about something, I forgot what it was, and made a song with bleeped out names of all the famous people he ever wrote for.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - kosko - 07-23-2015

Quote: (07-23-2015 10:21 AM)jariel Wrote:  

I think this is past the point of just being BS and speculation.

Again, this isn't new news. Just because people at home won't say anything, I mean hell, why would they, who in the mainstream with the kind of influence that he has has ever repped Toronto the way he has?

He's got people talking about "the 6" like it's the 305 -- which it will never be.

Some people like Shi Wisdom have been paid off, hell it's not even in their best interest to talk, especially since checks are being written left and right.

I know Drake tends to not really respond to this kind of stuff, or he might mention it subtly in a song, but he has to respond to this.

Dude is on some greatness shit, and that's cool, but as a rapper, you can't be considered a great when other dudes are at a minimum coming up with the concepts of your records, and then you're just coming in the studio and changing some of the words and filling in the blanks.

The 10 Bands scratch track is documented proof, so again, hard to call this "just BS and speculation".

I also think it's incorrect to assume that someone within the camp actually had the authority to send this shit out, if anything, this makes the situation looks worse, this is the type of situation where you really find out who's really riding with you.

I'm not going to buy into all that Toronto rah-rah bullshit, because you still have haters, you still have people who are going to be jealous, you still have people who are jaded and may not feel they're getting what they deserve, it happens all the time.

You have it twisted. It is only campy to like Drake in Toronto now. This is the screwface capital and he was hated on by the city when her first started. He was booed at shows, never got any love, and people took any chance to talk shit on the man. Even during that period none of these claims of him buying lines ever came up. Toronto common folk are losers, all love the man now after they ran him through the mud. But his core people were always the same and they will gladly tell you details.

What I am saying is that there is no ear shot in Canadian streets. Nobody down south has a real ear on Toronto aside from people who are outsourcing from here and either have a affiliation with Drake or are not on good terms with him and would have a interest in saying mis truths.

What I am saying also, is that it makes no sense that a man who made money getting paid to write lines, which was one of the reasons he was plucked out of here to start with. Now he would then go around and do the same? It isn't like Drake has really switched up his lines, he has been on the same style for years now (way before any ounce of fame he has had), which all predates any of these accusations.

When dude was a skinny malnourished Jew with a Scarborough fade he was still basically spitting the same. The only thing that has changed is context of what he is spitting and his questionable American accent/twang to not sound as much as a corny Canadian.

This is hardly me as a big Drake fan but as somebody who came up in the underground scene, the man has paid his dues and has real talent to back up his whole schtick. I can't hate on a man who earned it the hard way.

The only common thread I see is dudes getting buthurt on Drake where a woman is involved. Hostile Toronto has made Drake not give a fuck about a woman's status and he seems to burn another dude over a female every other month it seems.

Quote: (07-23-2015 11:06 AM)kosko Wrote:  

What I am saying also, is that it makes no sense that a man who made money getting paid to write lines, which was one of the reasons he was plucked out of here to start with. Now he would then go around and do the same? It isn't like Drake has really switched up his lines, he has been on the same style for years now (way before any ounce of fame he has had), which all predates any of these accusations.

It's true that Drake has writing credits for others, but that fact has nothing to do with him paying other people to help him write his own songs. The scratch track is real, there's no point debating against that.

Miller came up with the concept of that track, Drake used most of his lines, and changed up some of the words. Given the number of credits he has on Drake's work, it can be reasonably assumed that that's how they are doing business. There are a number of other "Quentin Millers" attached to Drake, and have been for years. A lot of that information is out there and easy to find.

As someone who has a background in music, it's my opinion that there's nothing wrong with having collaborators. Music is inherently a collaborative experience, but to most people it's a little bit different when you get into hip-hop, because it's supposed to be more personal, it's supposed to be your voice, your thoughts.

Drake is too big to fail at this point, he's still going to sell-out shows, and we're still going to hear his songs at major clubs wherever we go, he just won't have any credibility with the purists, who make up a minority of listeners.

[Image: 15nkit1.jpg]

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - jayesco - 07-23-2015

All of this would've smoothed over if that reference track didn't leak. With that out, people just going to think he does that for every song. Jariel has already highlighted that:

Given the number of credits he has on Drake's work, it can be reasonably assumed that that's how they are doing business.

That's exactly what any average fan is probably going to be thinking now.

And apparently someone from his team leaked that reference track out. Drake and his camp needs to cut ties with whoever that was quick quick.

Is Drake The Softest Rapper of All Time? - Pride male - 07-23-2015

If people aint mad at you, you're doing something wrong.